Gina's Reviews > Lover Enshrined

Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward

Jun 12, 08

bookshelves: own, fantasy, paranormal-supernatural, romantic-suspense, suspense, thriller
Read in June, 2008

It wasn’t the greatest in the series, but I loved it!

With everything happening in this one, all the twists, I could understand how somehow Phury and Cormia weren’t the first and foremost in this one. Which seemed rather odd, considering the last five novels. But I think that, for Phury, what he had to get over wasn’t as bad as the rest of them - what they had suffered and were taken care of by the women who fell in love with them. Phury always put everyone ahead of himself - he didn’t see himself as worthy as them, therefore the drugs. Speaking from family experience, to Phury, drugs were the only thing he thought he could control in a life that was out of control … since infancy. His parents should have been stronger than they were, and Phury had to grow up faster than he should have. The responsibilities fell on his shoulders at too young an age, and that’s where his life turned into putting others before himself.

While Cormia didn’t understand the whole ‘drug thing’, she saw past the facade and fell in love with him, almost from the first. But Phury couldn’t/wouldn’t accept that - to him, he didn’t feel worthy of it. It took Phury to hit rock bottom for it to become clear. And I’m glad where they are now - they deserve each other, more than they know.

Some people would think: “what happened to the whole ‘hero’ thing? There wasn’t any!” I believe they’d be wrong. While, for once, Phury did something for himself by choosing Cormia for himself and her alone, no one else, it took guts to stand up to the Scribe Virgin the way he did, wanting to change some of the traditions, letting the Chosen decide what they wanted to do, knowing that they still had to carry on the next generation. I think Phury’s right - they’ll better their odds this way. He’s not just the hero to Cormia, but to all the Chosen, who now have a bit more freedom in their lives, by choosing which side they want to live on, by choosing a mate when the time comes, instead of being forced because tradition proclaims it so.

I love every twist and side-plot. This story is now blown wide open by the turns of events. If I get started on the deets right now, I’ll never stop, and I don’t want to blow it for those who haven’t read it yet. Suffice it to say the next book will be very interesting.

Ward had me laughing, crying, snickering, and getting pissed and antsy, just like the characters. She creates a world in which you don’t step out of until the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Enshrined.