Krizzia's Reviews > Everything Is Illuminated

U_50x66
Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: all-time-favorites
Read in March, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Is Illuminated.

Quotes Krizzia Liked

Jonathan Safran Foer
“If there is no love in the world, we will make a new world, and we will give it walls, and we will furnish it with soft, red interiors, from the inside out, and give it a knocker that resonates like a diamond falling to a jeweller's felt so that we should never hear it. Love me, because love doesn't exist, and I have tried everything that does.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“This is love, she thought, isn't it? When you notice someone's absence and hate that absence more than anything? More, even, than you love his presence?”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Do you think I'm wonderful? she asked him one day as they leaned against the trunk of a petrified maple. No, he said. Why? Because so many girls are wonderful. I imagine hundreds of men have called their loves wonderful today, and it's only noon. You couldn't be something that hundreds of others are.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She was a genius of sadness, immersing herself in it, separating its numerous strands, appreciating its subtle nuances. She was a prism through which sadness could be divided into its infinite spectrum.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“The bruises go away, and so does how you hate, and so does the feeling that everything you receive from life is something you have earned.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“The only thing more painful than being an active forgetter is to be an inert rememberer.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She was like a drowning person, flailing, reaching for anything that might save her. Her life was an urgent, desperate struggle to justify her life.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“The images of his infinite pasts and infinite futures washed over him as he waited, paralyzed, in the present.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“It stayed with him, like a part of him, like a birthmark, like a limb, it was on him, in him, him, his hymn: I had to do it for myself.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“He was like a book that you could feel good holding, that you could talk about without ever having read, that could you recommend.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“He would wake from sleep to miss the weight that never depress the bed next to him, remember in earnest the weight of gestures she never made, long for the un-weight of her un-arm slung over his too real chest, making his widower's remembrances that much more convincing and the pain that much more real.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She felt as if she were brimming, always producing and hoarding more love inside her. But there was no release.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“From where she is, the page- her paper-thin future-is infinitely heavy.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She repeats things until they are true, or until she can't tell whether they are true or not. She has become an expert at confusing what is with what was with what should be with what could be.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I imagine a line, a white line, painted on the sand and on the ocean, from me to you.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I don't think that there are any limits to how excellent we could make life seem.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“The only thing worse than being sad is for others to know you are sad.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Memory was supposed to fill the time, but it made time a hole to be filled. Each second was two hundred yards, to be walked, crawled. You couldn't see the next hour, it was so far in the distance. Tomorrow was over the horizon, and would take an entire day to reach.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“From space, astronauts can see people making love as a tiny speck of light. Not light, exactly, but a glow that could be mistaken for light--a coital radiance that takes generations to pour like honey through the darkness to the astronaut's eyes.

In about one and a half centuries--after the lovers who made the glow will have long been laid permanently on their backs--metropolises will be seen from space. They will glow all year. Smaller cities will also be seen, but with great difficulty. Shtetls will be virtually impossible to spot. Individual couples, invisible.

The glow is born from the sum of thousands of loves: newlyweds and teenagers who spark like lighters out of butane, pairs of men who burn fast and bright, pairs of women who illuminate for hours with soft multiple glows, orgies like rock and flint toys sold at festivals, couples trying unsuccessfully to have children who burn their frustrated image on the continent like the bloom a bright light leaves on the eye after you turn away from it.

Some nights, some places are a little brighter. It's difficult to stare at New York City on Valentine's Day, or Dublin on St. Patrick's. The old walled city of Jerusalem lights up like a candle on each of Chanukah's eight nights...We're here, the glow...will say in one and a half centuries. We're here, and we're alive.”
tags: sex

Jonathan Safran Foer
“He awoke each morning with the desire to do right, to be a good and meaningful person, to be, as simple as it sounded and as impossible as it actually was, happy. And during the course of each day his heart would descend from his chest into his stomach. By early afternoon he was overcome by the feeling that nothing was right, or nothing was right for him, and by the desire to be alone. By evening he was fulfilled: alone in the magnitude of his grief, alone in his aimless guilt, alone even in his loneliness. I am not sad, he would repeat to himself over and over, I am not sad. As if he might one day convince himself. Or fool himself. Or convince others--the only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad. I am not sad. I am not sad. Because his life had unlimited potential for happiness, insofar as it was an empty white room. He would fall asleep with his heart at the foot of his bed, like some domesticated animal that was no part of him at all. And each morning he would wake with it again in the cupboard of his rib cage, having become a little heavier, a little weaker, but still pumping. And by the midafternoon he was again overcome with the desire to be somewhere else, someone else, someone else somewhere else. I am not sad.

Jonathan Safran Foer
“It was not the feeling of completeness I so needed, but the feeling of not being empty.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Love me, because love doesn't exist, and I have tried everything that does.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“You are the only one who has understood even a whisper of me, and I will tell you that I am the only person who has understood even a whisper of you.”
tags: love

Jonathan Safran Foer
“The end of the world has come often, and continues to come.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She is deranged, but so so playful.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“...there are only some many times you can utter "It does not hurt" before it begins to hurt even more than the hurt.”