Melissa's Reviews > The White

The White by Deborah Larsen

Jul 06, 08

Read in June, 2008

This is a book about a girl who is given by a group of home raiders to a Native American family to replace the death of their brother. She witnesses the murder of her family by these same raiders. This is what I also knew about the book before I started reading. I thought, how depressing, but interesting.

The book talks mostly about this woman's life among the Native Americans. However, it doesn't go into a lot of detail about things. We get a very surface account for the most part. Once in awhile we get a bit more depth, but not much. It is an extremely fast read. It took me about 2.5 hours to get through it.

I liked it, but felt there was so much lacking. I wanted more. Apparently there was a doctor who took down the original story from this woman and this author used that book and some other material to develop this narrative. I'm interested to see what the original had. It may have lacked even more.

I also enjoyed that the author is a professor at Gettysburg College and a lot of what she talks about concerns the Ohio and Pennsylvania area. So, that was fun to hear about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White.