Rochelle's Reviews > Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: food, read-2012
Read from January 13 to April 01, 2012

The author is hilarious, doesn't take herself as seriously as Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and has very patient neighbors!!

What I now want to make! :)
Peanut Butter p.4

What James wants to make:
Yogurt p.46
Pop-tarts p.126
Baked Beans p.169

What Toby wants me to make:
Marshmallows p.129

What I've made so far:

Everyday Bread p.8
So far a flop - I want to use whey instead of water for the liquid to get a softer crust.

Croutons p.137
Pretty simple, but it doesn't "cost you pennies" as the author suggests because of all the olive oil the stale bread soaks up!

She suggests you buy your spices at an ethnic market for a portion of the cost you would for a jar of McCormicks. (p.72)

"I know "overly boozy" is a strange criticism from someone who loves booze, but i seems wrong to garnish alcohol with more alcohol" regarding her experiments making maraschino cherries (which I had downloaded recipes myself but never got around to making. her verdict? BUY)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make the Bread, Buy the Butter.

01/24/2012 page 223

message 1: by SallyHP (new) - added it

SallyHP I added this, so haven't read, but wanted to say that I make simple pop tarts by making pie crust, roll and cut in squares and then put a dollop of the jam I make in the middle, another's square on top: crimp and good!