Candy's Reviews > Disengaged

Disengaged by Beth Orsoff

Nov 24, 2011

liked it
Read from November 24, 2011 to March 16, 2012

A little over a year ago, I read a wonderful book by this author called How I Learned to Love the Walrus, so when the author asked if I wanted to read her newest one, Disengaged, I immediately said yes. I fully realize it's not fair to compare the two books, but it's difficult not to. Both are chicklit with some funny parts and a little romance. But that's where the similarities kind of end. Again, it's not fair, but this book falls a little short of my expectations for this author. Walrus had an amazing location which Beth was able to turn into a character in and of itself. This one lacks that extra backdrop. It also kind of goes off the rails a bit towards the predictable end.

Having said that, the book itself is not bad. I enjoyed the storyline. While I didn't like Allie (the main character), I did like most of the supporting cast. The writing is absolutely wonderful, as you would expect and the editing is just as wonderful. I liked the love interest(s) and the humor and quirky nature of the storyline. I felt like the story was perhaps a little over the top at times, but not so much that I rolled my eyes the entire time.

Where this books does really shine is in plot development. The author has a gift to keep the story moving. Unlike so many other chicklit authors that seem to be writing to just simply fill their word quota, Orsoff writes to keep the storyline moving and keep my interest intact.

I'd recommend this for fans of the authors other books and those who enjoy a quirky chicklit book now and then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disengaged.

03/06/2012
10.0% "So far a quick easy chicklit read."