Donald's Reviews > Reamde

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from November 24 to December 15, 2011

If you had stopped me anywhere between, say, pages 300 and 800, and asked me to rate this title, it would have hovered between a two star and a three star—depending on precisely where in the book I was and where in my day I was. I drank a lot of tea to get through this one and what kept me going was the fact that this was written by the same person who wrote Snowcrash and Anathem. There isn't as much white space as you'd think there'd be in a book this size. Instead, it is filled with dense exposition.

The story starts interestingly enough and seems to move along at a decent enough pace. But once the apartment in China blew up and characters were dispersed far and wide the story kind of lost its edge. Dare I use descritive words like tedious and mundane? Still, the story did progress. The story didn't get going for me again until the characters started becoming reunited.

The final showdown in the mountainous border region of Canada and the United States worked to bring the final rating up to a four. And in retrospect, the whole tale did have a cinematic feel to it. It was well written for the story being told. It was simply a huge story that didn't need to be so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reamde.