Amy Dreger's Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: romance, sci-fi
Read from November 24 to December 01, 2011

It is 1996 and Emma logs into AOL on her new computer only to find a strange link to something called Facebook. After clicking on the link, she is faced with her future Facebook profile and status updates taking place 15 years in the future. She and her friend Josh explore their fates through the site, realizing that small changes to their current life have adramatic impact on their future selves.

I liked this book. I didn't love it or REALLY like it but it was a good, fast read. I thought the references to the 90s were fun, at least for me, having lived through that era as a young adult. However I think the authors did try a bit too hard with the references, especially at the beginning. There was a lot of pop culture name dropping and other references that seemed overdone. I don't know how much teens will love this - most of them won't "get" the references and the Facebook theme will likely be outdated sooner than later.

However, the concept of this book was neat and did provide a bit of food for thought. I think the themes could have been better developed, along with the characters. Of course the flatter character development did make this a quicker read than something that might be a bit more developed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.