Katinki's Reviews > Lover Reborn

it was ok
bookshelves: vampire-books
Read in March, 2012

Somewhere around 2.5

So, I have some *feelings* about this book. Somehow I liked it and hated it all at once. Don't ask me how that's possible. But it is.

First off, this book is much better than the last couple. Frankly, after Dr. Jane came back as a ghost in V's book, I kind of lost interest and started skimming. But this one, I was back to caring because hey, it's Tohr.

What worked:
- I was glad to see us return to one of the "main" Brothers. And I like Tohr anyway.
- Since I'm some kind of angst loving idiot, I rather liked parts of the slow and fairly painful process of Tohr coming to grips with losing Wellsie and moving on. A time or two, I actually teared up a bit (don't tell cause that's way embarrassing). This touched on a pretty painful topic - the idea of moving on after your mate/spouse/love of your life has died. That's no easy topic, ya know, and that's where most of the *feelings* came from.
- I liked the slow pace of Tohr's and No'One / Autumn's relationship. See below though. And it pleases me that Tohr won't be living alone and mourning forever.
- Despite No'One's ridamndiculous name, there were places in here where I really liked her. For the most part she's a pretty compelling and "worthy" counter for Tohr. She has her own demons to conquer. She's kind and compassionate and lovely. More below.
- Despite still not having ANY freaking idea why/how an angel is in a vampire book, Lassiter is fairly likable.
- The rest of the brothers are a-okay. I always like seeing little glimpses of Z.
- I also really liked the developments in the relationship between Xhex (lol at that name) and No'One / Autumn.
- The resolution was fine and left me in a good place. See below.
- ETA: had to mention this. The dude on the cover is smoking hot. Om nom.

What didn't work:
- God. Can these characters have worse names???? No'One? Really?
- While I appreciated the pain and suffering of Tohr and No'One / Autumn, in many places and especially toward the end, I pretty much wanted to cockpunch Tohr for being such a dick. It's not just over the No'One's post needing meltdown, but just in general. He was just... unlikable in more than a few places and I didn't care for the way he treated No'One. I get that he was in pain, but dude, not cool.
- Furthering above, Tohr didn't even sound like himself in places, like he was OOC.
- While I liked No'One's selflessness when it came to Tohr and that she cared so much and was so understanding, I also wanted to tell her to grow a backbone. I get that that growth and realization was part of the point of the book, but holy damn, I'd have smacked him more than once.
- The entire set up for Tohr to move on - having Wellsie's soul being held up in wherever was pretty far fetched even in this world and felt a bit contrived. (It also felt a little *soon* after Wellsie's death for my preferences). But it was like the author had to come up with some way to force Tohr to move on. I mean, I get that that's part of the vamp mate thing - mate for life - and there needed to be something to *make* him, but this was a little out there and I may have rolled my eyes at the set up. Yes, I'm glad that he won't be alone. I just didn't like the external / bizarre impetus for it.
- Again I'm annoyed by the appearance of an angel in this world. Still going WTF over that.
- The other plot stuff (i.e. the bad guys, which are hilariously referred to as B.o.B) fell pretty flat to be honest. There was so much focus on Tohr and the romance that the rest was just side stuff. Meh.
- The ending. Really? Having Autumn go to the Fade, too? And then come back because Lassiter just happened to be there to sacrifice himself? Not necessary at all. It changed nothing really. They still ended up together and all that HEA jazz. Meh.

- Okay and this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but too much sex. My God. This one was just chock full of it, more so than all the rest of the books, and from multiple characters/pairings. Between all the masturbation, petting, sexing, random uncontrollable spouting of the peen, I have no idea how many times Tohr orgasmed. But honestly? It was to the point that I just skimmed and rolled my eyes. I get that these are romance novels and that some smut is totally expected. But wow, this was just... a lot. Too much. OKAY and there's one scene between Blay and Saxon and all I could think was, "LUBE. Freaking LUBE. Use it."

- ETA: I slept on this and something important came to me re: the above mentioned too much sex. It's not just that there's too much sex. It's that it's, compared to the other books, relatively unromantic sex. See, in all the other books, these vamps are "mating" and "bonding". While the sex is rough and tumble, down and dirty, underlying it is this supposedly bone-deep connection. In all the other books, these big ole vamp dudes pretty much worship the women they are with - mind, body, and soul. This one... at least for most of the book read and felt more like just straight up fucking without a lot of emotional attachment. For most of it, Tohr's still hung up on Wellsie (which is perfectly reasonable), so it just felt more like two vamps just getting their rocks off. Or worse, the attachment felt fairly one-sided. Up until the end, it was more like using than a real connection, and that took away from one of the things I like most about the series (that connection).

So... an improvement over the last couple definitely. But I still prefer #2 and #3 over them all.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Reborn.

message 1: by rameau (new)

rameau This is where I say I'm happy I never started this series. Did you hear the news about J.R. Ward wanting to write ten more books? At least.

message 2: by A M (new)

A M Thanks for reviewing this Kate. Now I know I don't need to read it. I enjoyed the first few books but, like you, it all got a bit ridonkulous when Jane came back as a ghost. I won't waste my time or money reading this.

Katinki rameau wrote: "This is where I say I'm happy I never started this series. Did you hear the news about J.R. Ward wanting to write ten more books? At least."

lol that's just silly. 10? i mean, they aren't terrible, just not good/great. i liked #2 and #3 especially. i'll call them entertaining. but that's about it.

Katinki Annette wrote: "Thanks for reviewing this Kate. Now I know I don't need to read it. I enjoyed the first few books but, like you, it all got a bit ridonkulous when Jane came back as a ghost. I won't waste my time o..."

i mean, like i said above, it's definitely an improvement over the last couple. but eh... some issues.

message 5: by meltem (last edited Mar 28, 2012 05:32AM) (new)

meltem Only ones I liked were second and third books too. And now 10 more? Must be a joke!

Cecilia Rodriguez Yeah, Tohr acted like a total prick, everything he said to Autumn was harsh and uncalled for. I realize he's hurting but damn that was just fu*ked up mean!

Adoore This is a romance novel ultimately so it should have found a way to stay consistent with it foundation of bonding/mating by bring Wellsie and her son back.

Katinki Adoore wrote: "This is a romance novel ultimately so it should have found a way to stay consistent with it foundation of bonding/mating by bring Wellsie and her son back."

eh, that didn't bother me. i don't mind character death, even in romance. i just didn't like *the way* and the impetus that ward chose to have tohr move on.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue I'm in agreement with you. This series has just lost it's allure with me.
Thanks for the review!

Nicole Oh man, loved your review. It really does seem that she is just starting to fade away from the original books. This series is getting really...watered down from what it was. I feel like all of these are becoming nothing more than a chore for her. I stopped being a die-hard fan after the fourth one. Meh.