Katie's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Apr 11, 2012

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011, favorites, beforetv
Read from December 12 to 14, 2011

4/11/12: Bumping this up to 5 stars after reading Beth Shulman's review and being reminded of how much I liked this book.

4.5 stars.

Very, very strong book.

Just . . . very competently written. There would be things brought up and it was so nice to feel confident that they would be paid off. Not a lot of books give me that feeling these days.

And certainly the idea of an immersive internet experience is a) appealing and b) relatable. I mean, spending much more time online than in the real world? I know that one. The idea of internet friends being "real" friends? Oh yeah.

And it's 80's nostalgia, but it's virtually all stuff where I at least recognize the references, even if I don't know them intimately. (Probably because it's pop culture stuff, mostly with a geeky bent!)

And it's FUN, but there's also actual consequences and GOING THERE, which is one of my big complaints about dystopian books. (Though I don't know if I'd really call it dystopian? Or, well, I suppose it is, but it's the kind of dystopian that very much comes out of the problems our world is currently experiencing. So it feels much more familiar and real that most dystopias I've read.)

Anyway, READ IT. :D
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

12/12/2011
4.0% "I might be hooked already!" 2 comments
12/14/2011
54.0% "Uh-oh. Might not finish this before the library takes it away."

message 1: by Chiara (new) - added it

Chiara Sounds good! Gotta

message 2: by Chiara (new) - added it

Chiara Oops, too quick. Gotta remember to check this out soon.

Katie Awesome! I'd love hear what you think.

Beth Hey, wait, did you address the dystopia factor in your review, too? Did I remember that? Subconscious is a powerful thing :D

Katie YES, I DID. Haha! I suppose it's also a natural thing to think about.