Macy (It's a Book Thing)'s Reviews > Burn for Burn

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han

Aug 04, 13

bookshelves: owned, 2013-favorites
Read from January 17 to 21, 2013

More of my reviews at http://itisabookthing.blogspot.com/

OVERALL:
Plot-19/20
Characters-19/20
Creativity-19/20
Writing-20/20
Pace-10/10
Ending-7/10
=94/100 A
★★★★★/5

REViEW:
I read this book in January, it was the first book that I read this year and I can still remember it as if I finished it yesterday. The basis of the plot was Lillia, Kat, and Mary planning to get revenge on each of the people that ruined their lives, but there's a lot more depth to tit then that. I've never read a book about revenge before so this premise was very unique to me. Sure, not everyone goes to extreme measures to get even, but that didn't make this book any less relatable. I was able to bond with most of the characters, including the main girls as well as the popular people. This book was a fast and easy read because Lillia, Kat and Mary's world captivated me and I felt as if I was part of the story. This book is told from alternating perspectives of the three girls, but it was not confusing at all. It added so much more to Jar Island and really engulfed me in each of their lives. Revenge might not be the right thing to do, but these targets have it coming to them.

The characters were really interesting. I started out not really liking Lillia, but as the book progressed, I started to get an understanding of all she had to undergo and felt some sympathy about what happened at the party. Mary also had a very sad backstory, but I feel like that wasn't a very very strong reason for leaving town. I loved Kat's character and liked how she pulled all of the girls together. I think their secret friendship really made this book thrilling in a way. Rennie, the popular girl, friend of Lillia, and ex-best friend of Kat, was just that, a popular, snobby girl. I did really like to see the struggle of Lillia backstabbing Rennie, I cannot imagine how hard that'd be. Reeve is ridiculous, I can't believe what he did to Mary, but he's basically just an immature teenage boy. I developed a small crush on Alex, the other main guy, because of how good of a friend he was for Kat and Lillia at the beginning. Now he's even making me suspicious.

The ending contained the one thing that made me a little unsure about the rest of the trilogy. The ending was pretty great with all that action, but there was that one twist that kind of upset me. The reason why I loved this book so much was the realness of it and that it was contemporary fiction, but then that paranormal twist came. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I trust Han and Vivian to make it as realistic as possible. All in all, I loved this book. It was the first book I read this year and as of now it is still the best!

My Favorite Part: I loved the revenge! It was so unique and absolutely intriguing!

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Absolutely!
Will I be reading the next book? I'm reading the ARC now! :D Expect a review soon!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn for Burn.

message 1: by Lola (new)

Lola I love Jenny Han,but the summary of this didn't catch my interest. Let me know how it is!

Macy  (It's a Book Thing) This book was wayyy better than I expected. I LOVED it! I did have some issues toward end but it was very good!