Ray Palen's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Dec 29, 11

Read from November 24 to December 29, 2011

Stephen King has long been one of my must-read novelists and I have been fortunate to have read nearly everything this man has published since his career started in the 70's. As a 'faithful reader', I must confess to having my faith waver in recent years. I was highly disappointed in the over-blown and unsatisfying UNDER THE DOME and I found his novella collection, FULL DARK NO STARS far too dark and not with enough great story-telling.

With the release of his latest effort, 11/22/63, Mr. King has redeemed himself and returns to the top of his game with another lengthy novel that is full of great characters that the reader will instantly care about and features some of the best plotting of his career. While we have been inundated with books/films about time-travel and space-time continuims that threaten to alter the course of history via 'the butterfly effect' it is easy to dismiss a tale about a time traveller seeking to thwart the assassination of JFK as just another trite entry in this genre.

However, King has created an indelible chracter in school-teacher Jake Epping, who walks through a portal in the back of Al's Diner of Derry, Maine, and straight into 1958. He has five years to position himself to put a stop to Lee Harvey Oswald and along the way learns much about life and the tenuous ties that bind the past and the present. Even if Jake is successful, there will be a cost and it will take his return to 2011 that will tell exactly what impact his actions in 1963 have had on the future. Simply impossible to put down and one of the best reads of recent years!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.