bookczuk's Reviews > Firewall

Firewall by Henning Mankell

It's been a while since I read a Wallander, though I've read the start of the series that features Wallander's daughter, Linda. This was my first Wallander as an audio book, and the first thing javaczuk and I noticed was that we've been saying the name wrong -- we got the initial sound right, but it was more a matter of putting the accent on the wrong syllable. But, I'm teachable, if nothing else, and I now say it correctly (or at least as the audio book did) 90% of the time.

Once again, Mankell did a masterful job. One of the things I like about his books is that he gives an amazing amount of details, though not all are needed to really wrap up the case. I did have a hard time thinking Wallander was "old" (he's 5 years younger than I am in this story), and I'd forgotten his temper. And the fact that life has sped ahead in terms of technology from the time this book was set was something I had to shelve while listening. But still, it was a good ear-read, particularly on a long car trip. We both enjoy this genre so it made for successful audio-harmony for the journey.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firewall.

11/27/2011
80.0% "A great audio listen, especially on a long car trip. Love Mankell's books anyway, but especially enjoying this one, though javaczuk and I both learned we were saying Wallender wrong. (We got the initial sound right, more of the accent on the wrong syllable sort of thing.)"