Alexandra's Reviews > Dreamless

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

F_50x66
Beautiful cover, right? Once again, I didn't heed the best reading tip of all time: "Don't judge a book by its cover." Seriously: Do not. When I read Starcrossed, I remember my initial feeling being that it was alright, worth the read, but nothing special. The writing was mediocre, the characters and plot were mediocre, everything really fell into that category of mediocre. I purchased Dreamless on my eReader when it came out simply out of curiosity, but I really wish I had just waited until it was available at my library.

The entire story felt rushed, or at least as if the author had no idea where the story was going one second, then would have some random stroke of inspiration that any reader could have guessed but that was oddly placed in the book. I recall multiple points where the characters were stuck in situations with the potential to show bravery or clear-headedness or intelligence under pressure, then something odd and completely out of place would spring up and give them an easy fix. At these points, I would just stare at the screen with a blank expression and think, "Really?"

The characters are constantly at odds with one another, they make weird desicions, push each other away unnecissarily, are constantly described as shouting at each other when a simple "said" would do, Helen is as fickle as ever, and the plot holes were just...everywhere. Also, the characters' interactions were just odd. Even though Helen and Lucas believe that they are related, they still try to be together, think about kissing each other, and have no qualms about acting as though they are still in love. Then Castor tells Lucas to stop, and Lucas decides that the best way to stop is to hit Helen and yell at her to make her hate him. ?????? It just struck me as odd. And oh, there's a love triangle. Once again: ??????? No one can pull off love triangles where people aren't hurt or the main character doesn't come off as fickle and cruel to some degree. I don't know, this book just felt almost more like a rough draft to me. I wouldn't recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamless.