Kereesa's Reviews > Ward Against Death

Ward Against Death by Melanie Card

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: 2011, giveaways, young-adult, witches-wizards-powers, paranormal-romance, paranormal, own, necromancy-ghosts-and-the-dead, grrl-power, friendship, fantasy-all-others, assassins, canadian-love, own-softcovers
Recommended to Kereesa by: Kate (Nomalicious Reads)
Recommended for: Those who like darker, humorous fantasy/paranormal
Read from November 24 to December 05, 2011

**A thank you to Kate from Nomalicious Reads for allowing me to pick a book in her giveaway, and for writing a review that convinced me to pick Ward Against Death :D**

Ward Against Death was a fun, dark, paranormal story. Set in a world half victorian England, and surrounded by gilds filled with supernaturals, necromancers, and assassins, the novel is about Ward, a necromancer, who's been called to perform a 'wake' (waking up the deceased for 15 minutes for a final conversation with loved ones) on a young, wealthy girl named Celia. It was supposed to be a normal wake, until Celia tells Ward she's been murdered, and pulls him into a whirlwind adventure filled with conspiracy, necromancy, and assassinations.

Ward Against Death was a fun novel. It was exciting, funny, and filled with the things I love most about fantasy: adventure, danger, and magic. It also had a world that easily had me intrigued, and wondering about its intricacies that the author hints at, but never fully goes into a kind of info-dumping about the whole thing. And while I'm not always a fan of the whole barely-explained kind of worlds, I have to admit Ward Against Death still had enough of a world that I could feel as solid and real.

The plot, the conspiracy behind it all, was something I was equally intrigued about, though I do have to admit I saw a few things coming. Nevertheless, it was exciting and really went well with the whole assassins/underworld vibe I got from the novel. I really can't wait, either, to see where the few loose ends will be tied up in the novel's sequels.

I really loved both Ward and Celia as characters, and thought their romance, though based on attraction, really did develop quite well. While Ward was kind of wimpy, I really liked him for some reason, and Celia was easily a favorite with her bad ass and assassin skills. Their romance was nice, although expected, and I enjoyed how their friendship and romance developed enough to be notable, yet still had room to grow within the next few books.

All in all, I really enjoyed Ward Against Death. It was funny, cute, and just what I needed in a paranormal novel. 4/5
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ward Against Death.

12/02/2011 page 152
52.0% "The villain's name is Karysa. Say it with me slowly: Kaaaa reeeee ssssaaaaa Sound like someone you know? Secretly the book world is trying to tell me I'm an evil person on the inside isn't it?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) :D YAY I hope you enjoy!