Annie Brewer's Reviews > The Body Finder

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: absolutely-amazingly-awesome, books-on-my-shelf, favorite, irresistable-hot-guys, 5-star-worthy
Recommended to Annie by: Vee-you rock!!
Recommended for: Every freaking one!!
Read from January 29 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

Ohhhhhh. Emmmmm. Geeeeeeeee.! This is my new favorite series!!!! Holy crappadoodle!!! Fdgdrtesacvnkoyessxcnooyrecbhtrd hfdh. Yea that's what I said! Review to come as soon as my head clears!! This book left me speechless!!!!!

Okay, I think I am composed enough to write this review now. Sorry, my head was reeling from the events that took place before my very fearful eyes. WHEW!!!! It was a whirlwind for sure. So, upon reading this, I had bought this book along with its sequel about 3 months ago. The covers intrigued me, compelled me to read them. But instead they sat on my shelf collecting dust with the rest of my forgotten sad and lonely books. Then just two days ago, my friend (VEE, seriously...YOU ROCK SISTER....okay Shreya you too....before I get yelled at!!)had reminded me of this book. She read it and raved about it and told me I had to read it now! Well, I didn't do it right then exactly, I was in the mmiddle of My Soul To Take(which is amazing by the way). So I put the book on hold and searched for my copy of The Body Finder and started it right away. WOW!!!!I read this in ONE DAY people. ONE DAY!!!!!! I couldn't put it down!!! It was mesmerizing, intense, suspenseful, romantic, haunting...but I absolutely loved every minute of it!!!!!

SYNOPSIS:

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find the dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself.

My review:

So I have no idea where to start. I've got to admit, this book was creepy. I normally don't read murder mysteries. This one didn't leave a very fuzzy wuzzy feeling in my stomach. In fact, there were times that I checked my front door to make sure it was locked at all times and was very observant of everything around me in public. Paranoid much? I think not, since it is not unusual for this to happen in real life. But what made up for the freaky-deaky storyline was the two main characters-Vi and Jay.

First of all, let me talk about the secondary characters for a second. I have to give them notice because they did their parts well. Too well I think. Chelsea...Vi's best friend. She was cool. I liked her alot and her sarcastic bitchy attitude. It was quite humorous at times. Although, she was an idiot at the end of the book and I practically yelled at her for she did. I wanted to jump in the book, grab her and shake her like a rag doll. OMG, I was on the edge of my seat. Actually, no I wasn't...half the time I was pacing almost biting my nails off yelling out loud to myself. It would have rather comical to see me in person. Then Jules, Claire and some other friend of theirs I can't remember were pretty cool too. They made me laugh at their gossipy hilarious banter. I felt like part of the crowd. It was great! Then we have Uncle Stephen-the police chief who played a huge and important role in keeping Violet safe whilst using her gift to help track down the monster-not to mention heroic. He was a great uncle, always trying to protect her from the sadistic psychopath. If it hadn't been for him.....nevermind. *mouth sealed*

Violet Amrose. Vi. Wow, what an amazing heroine she turned out to be. Although I had a feeling from page one I'd love her. But seriously, she goes out looking for trouble and shit, I was screaming at her for being so damn stupid and careless. She put people's lives in danger because of her stubbornness. In all honesty though, she did what she had to do and if she hadn't played "hunter", things would have turned out differently. I had to forgive her for being impulsive. The burdens she carries with her since she was a child is more than I myself could bare. Really, there have been worse heroines *COUGH* *CALLA* *COUGH* SO I am just grateful I actually liked this girl. I was kinda jealous of her though. Shhhhh, don't tell her!

Then there is JAY. JAY Heaton. Snookums. Hottie with a Godly body. Knight in shinning armor. Man of my dreams. OMG, I could write a story on this guy and it would be a whole book in length. Okay, so when I say he was better than Daemon. *GASP* Yes, I know......SHOCKING!!!! How can anyone be better than that sexy hot Godlike of a man. Considering Daemon is all I could obsess over for weeks now. Looks like he has competition. But to be fair, Jay isn't powerful or immortal or even a bright light for that matter. He is just Jay, which is good enough for me. He is human. Perfect in every way. I guess Daemon still wins in the non-human competition...but in the ever so stunningly hot, sexy, knows-all-the-right-words-to-say and never ceases to place more and more fluttery butterflies in my stomach just seeing his name competition-JAY takes the cake or metal or whatever it is they win. I mean, holy shit!!!! I cried in some moments just because of his romantic heartfelt words were so genuine and left me breathless. Of course a couple of times I wanted to backhand him for being a douche. But I loved this love story because for once, there really wasn't a love triangle. Sure there were other trying to win both of their affections but once they both realized (and I knew it before she did and wanted to hit her for being blind since it was so obvious the signals he was giving her)that they were meant for each other, it was totally lust-worthy and steamy at times. I found myself blushing so hard I thought my face was gonna burst!! I was cheering them on and so happy for them that they finally figured it out after all these years of being best friends-how ridiculously cute they were-pretending to be "just friends". But I was also glad that it took them sometime instead of that insta love or "love at first sight" crap. They both knew each other inside and out and no one understood them better than they did. Ah, I can't get him out of my head. I really want to read Desires of The Dead (the sequel) but I must finishe My Soul To Take first. Jay and Vi will have to wait. Enough about him....holy crap, see? This is a long spiel about the oh so gorgeous and swoon worthy Jay Jay! *SIGH* *blushing profusely* My face is gonna fall off.

Another thing I loved was that Derting included the killer's devious and creepy plans. Every few chapters it switched to his mindset and how he lured each girl into his arms and to their fatal death. That was the creepiest part, it really showed how sadistic and psycho he was and how he showed no remorse for taking innocent girls' lives. But it really had me glued to the book, the descriptives of his plans in action was none other than creepy. He would find them alone and pretend to help them if they were out on their own and get them to trust him until he had them......then BAM!!! I wanted to spit at him, except I'd never get that close to him. *Shudders*

The story was great-sad but it was told very descriptively and vividly. That was the scary part. I could see the events unfold before my eyes and I ached for those young innocent girls. Stupid psycho!!!!! It was like watching "The Lovely Bones" all over again, though there were some differences but the storyline was pretty much the same. Wow, this book did a number on me. I had to hide out in my bathroom a few times away from my kids so that I could get the full effect and they didn't freak out at the mask of horror written on my face or the curse words spitting out of my mouth as I am holding on for dear life in absolute fear and suspense of the last few chapters of this book. *shudders* Kudos to Derting, she really captured me from the start. The writing is spectacular and believable, telling the story of every mothers' worst nightmare. I recommend this to all who love romance and a little mystery. It was so worth the lack of sleep and my zombie-like state I am in today.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“He loved her.
Jay Heaton, her best friend since childhood was in love with her. He didn't say it but she knew that it was true.
And the part that really freaked her out, the part that caught her completely off guard, is that he wasn't alone. Because even though she'd been denying it for a long, long time, it had always been there... waiting beneath the surface of thier friendship. And now that it was out there was no going back.
And it was so wierd to even be thinking it but...... she was in love with him too.”

“I swear that boy can't function without you, not even at lunch.” ~Chelsea

“I was just waiting for you to want me as much as I wanted you.” His words were quiet but carried one hell of an impact. “I knew we were going to be together; it was just a matter of time. I kept hoping that you would figure it out. But for a smart girl, you’re a little dense, Vi. I kept bringing up Lissie Adams, and showing you the notes she was leaving me, hoping that you’d get pissed enough to finally admit how you felt about me.” ~Jay

“I've been so worried about strange men following you around that I forgot how dangerous Homecoming Queens can be.” ~Jay

“What was that all about?" Jay asked in loud whisper.
She still felt like her head was reeling. She had no idea what she was going to tell to Grady when school was out. "I think Grady just asked me to Homecoming," she announced to Jay.
He looked at her suspiciously. "The game?"
Violet cocked her head to the side and gave him a look that told him to be serious.
"No, I'm pretty sure he meant the dance," Violet clarified, exasperated by the obtuse question.”

“No, I tried to use Lissie. But apparently you're more pigheaded than I gave you credit for. I thought for sure that would do it. Instead, it backfired on me, and you agreed to go to the dance with... someone else.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body Finder.

Quotes Annie Liked

“He loved her.
And the part that really freaked her out, the part that caught her completely off guard, is that he wasn't alone. Because even though she'd been denying it for a long, long time, it had always been there... waiting beneath the surface of their friendship. And now that it was out there was no going back.
And it was so weird to even be thinking it but...... she was in love with him too.”
tags: love

Kimberly Derting
“What are you doing here?" she asked as she slowed from a jog to a walk and placed her hands on her hips. It would take her a few minutes to get her breathing back to normal. Longer if he kept smiling at her like that.
He shrugged. "I couldn't sleep. What about you?"
She opted for the obvious and filled her voice with as much sarcasm as she could. "I live here, actually”

Kimberly Derting
“I swear that boy can't function without you, not even at lunch.”

tags: love

Kimberly Derting
“He reached out, capturing her hand in his. He laced his fingers casually through hers.
Violet leaned against him and the calm finally came, settling over her peacefully.
And then he kissed her. Gently. Softly. Not on the lips, as she'd imagined so many times before, but on her forehead.
The gesture was sweet and a little possessive.
Violet hoped, maybe, it was a start.”

Kimberly Derting
“Is that how it is now, we're back to just friends?" Violet asked, rasing her eyebrows at him challengingly. "I'll remember to keep that in mind next time we're 'doing homework'.”

Kimberly Derting
“What was that all about?" Jay asked in loud whisper.
He looked at her suspiciously. "The game?"

Kimberly Derting
“If you ever…ever… touch her again, I swear to God, Grady, I‟ll fucking kill you. Do you hear me?”
Kimberly Derting, The Body Finder

01/29/2012 "Okay Vee and Shreya....its only cause I love y'all that I am adding yet ANOTHER book to my pile of shiz to fry my brain!! It better be worth it!! ;)" 12 comments
01/29/2012
65.0% "Damn....so I am TOTALLY hooked!!!!! :)"
01/29/2012 page 65
20.0% "Whoops....I am not that far yet...."
01/29/2012 page 65
20.0% "Omg this is horrible!!! Not the books....the events. But I just love Jay....he is swoonworthy!!! <3"
01/30/2012 page 207
63.0% "Damn, this book is creeping me out now......yet I can't stop reading!!!!"
01/30/2012 page 207
63.0% "Omg Jay, you are like so perfect!!! Holy crap, I think I'm in love!! I sense a competition...Daemon better watch out. WOW!!!! <3"
show 1 hidden update…

Nandanie YAY!

Annie Brewer :)

Shreya (CCReviews) thats rite mwahahahahahahahahha and psshhhhhhhh "it's only because i love y'all"??? PUH-LEASE! u totally want to read this book. anyhoo im glad and luv u too!

Annie Brewer Dude I have had this book and the 2nd on my shelf one for months but completely forgot about it!! I am loving it!! Jay and Violet are sooooo stinkin cute!!! :)

Nandanie i am glad that the herione(vi) is perfect...shes everything i like in a femal character!

Annie Brewer And so is Jay......perfect I mean! I LOVE him!!!!! I want him for myself!!

Nandanie hahaha! dont we all?

message 8: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye Sounds like this book was wonderful!

Annie Brewer All I'm gonna say is go pick you up a copy and read it! You will devour this book!! :)

Stormy Annie, you should read Clarity by Kim Harrington! It's really good too!

Annie Brewer I've got it on my tr list so I will get to it soon!!

Shreya (CCReviews) Annie wrote: "I've got it on my tr list so I will get to it soon!!"

OMG YES U SHOULD! im just so proud of the author (sniffle) i think i will be able to go to her next book opening (fingers crossed).

Nandanie i told u i wouldnt steer u wrong! i absolutely adore their series!

Annie Brewer Dude I finished it ine ONE day. I think you did pretty good!! :)

Annie Brewer The ending was so intense I was pacing and cursing and freaking out!! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Didn't we tell you? It's an awesome book!

Annie Brewer I am posting my review right now! :)

Stormy Annie, I love your reviews! You make me laugh with every single one of them. :)

Being paranoid and hiding in your bathroom. LOL

Glad you liked it!

Annie Brewer Thank you!! The hiding in my bathroom was a means to get away from my kids in those suspenseful freaky moments where I was cursing and yelling at the book! LOL
But I did check my door several times to make sure it was locked at night. Hahaha, I am such a chicken.

message 20: by Miss (new) - added it

Miss OMG! Great review, you really liked it! The great irony is that I (too) have first two books for about half year now, and I haven´t touch them. Shame on me!

Annie Brewer SHAME ON YOU MISS!!!!! LOL JK but really you need to read it! Don't wait too long cause you'll forget again. I am glad I dropped everything and read it then. It was so freaking amazing!!!! Ahhhhhhh, I have too many new favorite books/series now! Hahaha, I am such a loser.

message 22: by Miss (new) - added it

Miss Yeah, I know! Few days ago I counted 39 books (sequels) that I´m waiting for this year. Who´s loser now?!

Annie Brewer I guess we both are but I am okay with that. At least I obsess over getting lost in a good book rather than getting lost in booze. It could be worse, right? lol

message 24: by Miss (new) - added it

Miss You got it right! :D

Yodamom I loved it too ! Fantastic !

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Awesome review Annie! I'm sooo excited for The Last Echo!

Annie Brewer Thanks!! I have to read Desires of The Dead first. I will get to that soon enough! I love this series to pieces!

message 28: by Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) (last edited Jan 31, 2012 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Desires of the Dead isn't as good as The Body Finder, but it's still a decent read. I'll tell you what I didn't like about it after you read it. :)
Oh, and I forgot to mention, it's not weird that you feel paranoid after reading this book. Almost everyone who reads it feels wary after, and that's good. It makes you more aware of your surroundings.

Annie Brewer Okay. That sucks that you didn't like it. At least they are secure in their relationship. But I guess we will see how I feel once I read it.

message 30: by Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) (last edited Jan 31, 2012 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Oh no, I liked it, but it was just much more disturbing (to me at least) than The Body Finder was.

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» WOW! Amazing and totally hilarious review!!! I can tell your just "a little bit" in love with the man of the hour (Jay)! ;) I can't wait to read this now! But don't blame me if I start liking Jay too! It was your own fault, for making him sound like a freakin sex toy!!!! XD

Annie Brewer LOL oh yay! I hope you do fall in love with him. I will share!!! Believe me, I don't blame anyone for falling for such a sweet sexy heart throb as him!! Now hop skip and jump to this book now woman!!! ;)

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» Already on it!!!! ;p

Annie Brewer GOOD! :)

Nandanie yeah Annie! When I tell you to drop it, read it! glad you listened to me! ;)

Stormy It must be cool to fall for your best friend that you have known your whole life.

Annie Brewer Omg I know. That is so romantic!!!! You should see my review for Shade. Thats another great series!! So sad!!

Stormy I read your review, Annie! I'm sorry about what happened! *big bear hug*

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» I finally got the book! *jumping up and down* Can't wait to read this!!!! ;p

Annie Brewer YAY!!! Hallelujah!!! *jumping up and down* Okay. I am calm. I am composed!! *ready to stalk my prey*

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» LMAO! It's 3:00 am in Canada right now and I just wanted you to know i got the book! Seee....I told you you'd be the first to know!! ;)

Annie Brewer Yay!!! Haha I was up til 4 am reading the book it that night. I wouldn't sleep til it was finished. Now go to sleep! :)

Vanya D. Dang, I feel like re-reading it now :)))

Annie Brewer I know!!! Same here!! But I have too many books to read first!! Plus I am in the middle of writing my own book. I wrote 10 pages today and my hand hurts so bad!!! But its getting good!

message 45: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Okay, so I finished this and I'm on #2 now, and I have to say Jay rivals Daemon for me....he's just too sexy for words, and he's even better so far in the sequel. WOW!

Annie Brewer Really????? I haven't read the sequel yet! But plan to pretty soon! Dude, that's what I said in my review! He is better than Daemon! BUT, Daemon is still one of my true loves!!! I don't want him hearing me say that....but you are right. Jay is way too sexy for words! OMG! I hope he and Violet stay together til the end! But apparently the 3rd book there is a love triangle. Argh!!!!! But they will get back together! They have to!!!

Nandanie I know! I ordered Desires of The Dead at the library! Hopefully I get a copy in my hands soon! I can squeeze it in my already too long reading list!

Annie Brewer Grrrrrrr! I need to read Desires of the Dead, I have it sitting on my shelf! Ugh! I am reading too many at once! Help!!!

Nandanie I am reading 7 at a time! I am trying to finish this batch so I can get more books! Ahh!

I tried to order Obsidian but they dont have it! ;(

Annie Brewer Oh man!!!! Stupid library. According to my "currently reading" list I am reading 7 too. Hahahaha, I just keep buying more and more. I need to STOP and finish what I am reading first before buying and starting more....

« previous 1