Marilag's Reviews > Journey to the Center of the Earth

Nov 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads, adventure, scifi, victorian
Read from December 13, 2011 to January 09, 2012

I get the feeling Jules Verne just wanted to throw every possible thing under the Earth when he wrote this. "What could I possibly put in that could be SO fantastic? GIANTS! A-ha! Indubitable!" No joke, that's what reading the book felt like.

The imagination was certainly heavy, and the fact that he attempted to throw in an attempted logical explanation in each scenario was just as entertaining. The last bits were certainly amusing enough, even if the first 100 pages was mostly a lot of whining.

I can't say I liked any of the characters. Okay, fine, the main characters I did not like. The professor was looked upon as a man of science, but he certainly questioned nothing. The nephew whined a lot. And Hans could have been decent, I suppose, but being the mute muscle kind of likens him to a moving statue. No personality at all. The best character Verne had in the book was probably Gretchen. Or Arne Saknussem. You'd think that with an imagination this large, one would be able to fathom a girl stumbling down to the center of the earth. But maybe I'm just griping.

There is no doubt, however, why so many attribute Verne as a father of science fiction!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to the Center of the Earth.

01/09/2012 page 155