Diane Ferbrache's Reviews > Sixteenth Summer

Sixteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: friendship, romance, young-adult
Read in November, 2011

Anna has lived on Dune Island all her life, working in her parents’ ice cream shop, hanging out at the beach, and making fun of the “shoobies” (tourists) that come to spend every summer on the island. But the summer of her 16th year, things change dramatically – her two best friends suddenly become boyfriend & girlfriend and Anna meets and falls for Will, one of the tourists from New York City, of all places. Anna knows it must come to an end in August, but she just can’t resist. This is a story of those three wonderful months.
I expected to be totally bored with yet another ho-hum teen romance, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Anna and Will are a fun and interesting couple, Anna’s friends are witty and entertaining, and the whole story is very sweet. There are three sections – June, July and August – the story is somewhat predictable since Will has to leave in August, but the characters are so engaging, I didn’t care. I really liked this book and think I would have LOVED it in high school. I think fans of Sarah Dessen and Nicholas Sparks will too. There is some drinking and some “making out” (their term, not mine) but nothing graphic and virtually NO profanity! Suitable even for 7th or 8th grade girls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixteenth Summer.