Luann's Reviews > Fairy Tale Feasts: A Literary Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters

Fairy Tale Feasts by Jane Yolen

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: childrens, fairy-tales, cookbooks, 2011, nonfiction
Read from November 23 to 27, 2011

I had never realized there are so many folktales with a food component! I love the idea for this book. I did expect a bit more from the fairy tales themselves, being retold by Jane Yolen. They did seem very simple - especially in the beginning. Some of the recipes were a bit simple, too, but that's probably okay since they are meant for young children to be helping out. Some of them do sound very delicious. Overall, I liked the variety of stories chosen and how the recipes link to the stories.

The part I REALLY enjoyed were the bits of trivia included in the margins - of both the fairy tales and the recipes. Some bits of trivia I already knew, but some I didn't and found very interesting. Did you know that a pumpkin is a fruit and was once used as a cure for freckles and snakebite? Did you know that both the apple and the pear are members of the rose family?

The illustrations are a bit quirky, and I liked some more than others. But overall I thought they added a fun, whimsical feel to the book.

This is worth checking out if you have an occasion to pair cooking with a folktale. I would like to try the Seaweed Stuffed Shells, the Cucumber Yogurt Salad, the Magic Pear Grumble, and Snow White's Baked Apples. 3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairy Tale Feasts.

11/23/2011 page 1