Tam's Reviews > The City of Counts

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: m-m, vampires
Read in November, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This review can be found at

This interesting little short is less about a romance, and more about a man stuck in a rut looking at his life and decided to actually act on his dreams rather than fall into the easy life of rather boring responsibility. Stephen is a bit ambivalent about his life. He has a decent job, a dog, but since his cheating ex left he’s just kind of going through the motions. He’s approached while waiting to get his driver’s licence renewed by sexy Xavier. He can’t figure out why. He is not the type of man that sexy young men like Xavier are attracted to, however when Xavier asks him out, he can’t seem to say no, even though he figures he probably should.

I enjoyed how the book started, in the present, and then it went back to tell you how Stephen and Xavier got to that point, and then goes beyond it. I think the opening gave you that sense of Stephen’s rather blah feelings about his life.

The moan becomes a gasp as fangs sink into his thigh, and Stephen thinks that he really should have known better.

He doesn’t scream or panic, although admits it’s rather freaky, however he takes it with a rather resigned attitude that he was just a meal for Xavier and nothing more. Xavier sticks around though, actually liking Stephen rather than vanishing after his snack

The title is a reference to Barcelona, which Stephen admits he would like to visit but has a million excuses as to why he can’t go despite Xavier’s urgings. The exchange rate is bad, work is busy, he’s got a dog. However his night with Xavier is a turning point for Stephen. As I said, I’m not sure Stephen and Xavier will have a great romance, maybe, maybe not, I was quite happy just to see Stephen jolted out of the stupor that is his life and see him taking a step outside of his comfort zone. This is a theme that appeals to me a great deal. The ending made me smile and I highly recommend this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Counts.