Traci's Reviews > Revan

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from December 01 to 02, 2011

Bastards!

I'm a big Star Wars fan. I come from a family of big Star Wars fans. I also love role playing games. Knights of the Old Republic is a Star Wars role playing game. And my favorite video game. Period. Combining the best of the rpg world with a story driven plot and the freedom to play as a female or male Jedi or Sith. With a story that rivals most Star Wars movies. If you like Star Wars you've got to play this game. Anyway, I became very attached to my Revan. One of my favorite characters. Period.

When Knights of the Old Republic 2 came out under another company I was pissed. They ruined my Revan. Took away my end. Although I did learn to love Exile, the player character from this one, almost as much.

I know. This is a review for a book not videogames. What do I think of the book? Reread the first word. :)

I enjoyed it. But like I enjoy fan fiction. (Yeah, I read those). The end SUCKS though. And I choose to ignore it.

It was fun to get some backstory on one of my favorite characters. I like knowing now where Revan went when "he" went away. The Sith were interesting. I like that they have tied Revan to the online game coming. The writing was fine. I liked Candorous being present. Although I missed the other characters even though most got mentioned. (All but one actually) The Exile showing up was a complete surprise. And I liked how they split the difference that Revan was male but the Exile was female. But none of the crew from KOTOR 2 was mentioned, except those from the first too, and that I didn't like. I especially hated (hated!!!!!) what he did to Exile....

If not for the end it may have been more enjoyable.

A comment to any gamers out there: I fear what Karpyshyn has in store for Mass Effect 3. Just saying.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revan.

12/01/2011 page 150

Joseph Bummer. I actually just finished replaying KotOR and was looking forward to the book. I'll have to read it anyway, just to get the rest of the story.

And if he screws up Mass Effect 3, we'll have to have words, he and I.

Jess Saxton This. Completely sums up my feelings about this book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Joseph J4n3 wrote: "@Joseph: Drew isn't writing for Mass Effect anymore. Hasn't been for quite some time. In fact, he has left Bioware completely a couple of weeks ago."

Yep, I saw that. And I have to say that so far I've been really pleased with Mass Effect 3, although I put it on hold right before the point of no return -- I figured I'd wait for the "enhanced" ending.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only played through it once. Not happy with the really bad animation work (Joker's eyes, FemShep's movement etc.) and not too happy with those way too long video sequences either. Not enough roleplaying there. Ending ... well, I'm torn about that. Curious though what Bioware will come up with. Heard some voice actors got called back in for more VO work.

Robert Potts I really agree with you here. The story had potential, but the end was such a let down. Just doesn't make sense. I was a fan of the first KOTOR, but the second one was so disappointing, with no real difference between choosing light or dark.

Joseph Robert wrote: "I really agree with you here. The story had potential, but the end was such a let down. Just doesn't make sense. I was a fan of the first KOTOR, but the second one was so disappointing, with no rea..."

This may be of interest to some -- a modding team just finished restoring some of the cut content in KoTOR II. (There have been a couple of teams over the years that tried to do this, but most of them just kind of withered away; these guys seem to have finished the job.)

message 8: by Colin (new)

Colin I had read Drew's "Bane" series first, and with the ending of that trilogy, this ending didn't surprise me at all. Go read those if you haven't yet.

*SPOILER*
Drew seems to be a fan of the dark side and only the most powerful of the light could ever beat the dark, so if you think of it in those terms this ending makes more sense.

Zaratoth Well, this book is cannon now, with the story's sequel being the Flashpoints on Old Republic MMO. Which are rather amazing I might add, from my point of view.

message 10: by Josh (new) - rated it 3 stars

Josh Is TOR considered canon? I'm pretty sure it was chucked into Legends with the rest of the video games.

Nathan Dunahoo @Josh No, SWTOR is no longer considered canon.