Benjamin's Reviews > Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Jul 20, 08

bookshelves: bookmans-book-club
Read in July, 2008

So I was with my wife when I picked up my copy for the book club at work. And of course she started immediately poking fun at my new taste for chick-lit. I was very quick to my own defense, asserting that as non-fiction, it couldn't possibly be chick-lit so there.

I was wrong. Because it is non-fiction, but not just about cooking. It's about cooking and her marriage and her friends and their marriages and sex lives and her job and her quarterish life crisis. That didn't make me mad though, what really made me made was how much I enjoyed it. It's funny! And it's a nice story. So what if it actually is complete chick-lit, right? Right?

Anyway, there were some minor things I found irksome. Throughout the Project, Julie mentions that cooking all these recipes have taken a toll on her weight and that she and her husband both have fairly crappy jobs. But she makes almost no mention as to the actual cost of cooking gourmet french food most every night for a year. Surely gelatin and marrow bones do not grow on trees.

Also, While I liked the self effacing humor of each kitchen nightmare, it would have been nice to be a fly on the wall to one or two more success stories, just to balance things out.

Overall I think Julie Powell convinced me that she is someone I might want to hang out with, but that's about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.