Shane's Reviews > Seeds of Yesterday

Seeds of Yesterday by V.C. Andrews

Nov 23, 11

The horticultural horror continues, and this book will probably be the last V.C. Andrews books that I am re-reading - at least until I'm ready to re-read them again.

Even though SOY marks a welcome return to using Cathy's narrative, this book suffers from the same limitation of the third book in the series, "If There Be Thorns" - which is that the character of Bart is hideously annoying - and unfortunately most of the story centers around him. Then again,I have to admire the author's ability to create a character that elicits such strong emotions - as unpleasant as those emotions are!

The story itself is also weaker than usual, and it seems like a bunch of depressing events strung together with a hugely unconvincing ending - and of the first four books in this series, this ending made the least sense. Although I still admired Ms. Andrews ability to put her characters into ludicrous situations, this time 'round she seemed less inspired - and the situations did not have much of a payoff. On the plus side, a few things were left unanswered or ambiguous, although in this case it might have been laziness.

Thus ends my quest to re-read the saga of the Dresden Dolls. The copy of SOY contained the first chapter of the prequel to this series, but it did not inspire interest: it is written from the Grandmother's perspective before the Dresden Dolls bloomed into existence and were gradually weeded away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeds of Yesterday.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Norma I think Ms. Andrews died before this one was written and was the person the estate hired to write in her name and that is why it wasn't as good as the others.