Emma (Miss Print)'s Reviews > On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God

On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God by Louise Rennison

Jun 10, 08

Read in June, 2008

Okay, so On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God picks up almost exactly where Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging left off (two days later to be specific). As Georgia continues her diary, she is very disillusioned by the prospect of going to visit her father in New Zealand on "the other (useless) side of the universe" instead of having time to spend (snogging) with Robbie--the Sex God.

Like the first book in this series, this one basically just follows a few months in Georgia's life. Mayhem continues to follow Georgia as she and her friend devise new Beret-wearing methods at school among other kinds of mischief. This includes some chaos on the hockey field (the first book featured a rather disastrous tennis match). Rennison writes Georgia as a bit of a spaz--always thinking about herself and her appearance, heaping scorn upon Robbie's more studious ex--so it's nice to see her being athletic without really trying and without any ulterior motive.

Meanwhile, Georgia also has to figure out how to get back in Robbie's good graces when he once again decides that she is too young for him. Part of her plan? Maturiosity and Glaceriosity. Yes.

Basically anything funny that came up in the first book has been revisited in this one. A personal favorite: Georgia's continued bewilderment when faced with the phrase "see you later." (Does it mean "see you later" or something else? No one knows.) There are a lot of developments in this volume in terms of inter-character relations (Georgia, her friends, Robbie, and so on). But there isn't as much intra-character development. Again. By the end of the book, Georgia does have some new quandaries to think about (is it a problem that the SG doesn't make her laugh for instance), but it's still too early to tell if her new introspection will lead to a bit of enlightenment.

By the time I read this book (in a day), I was basically over my qualms about liking Georgia but feeling like I shouldn't. The plots are simple and fun, Georgia makes me laugh. It's fine.

That said, I have noticed that, like a few other laugh-out-loud funny books for teens, this one gets a lot of the humor from Georgia having kind of low self-esteem. A running theme in both books is Georgia bemoaning her ugliness as a result of her large nose. It doesn't really impact the story, or send any message about beauty ideals or anything, I just wish Georgia could be a little more sure of herself. All of her friends (and snogging partners) seem to indicate that people think Georgia is pretty cool. I wish that she would figure that out as well. Maybe in the next book . . .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God.