Austen to Zafón 's Reviews > Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense

2029480
Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: home-learning, parenting
Read in January, 1995

Guterson (best known for his historical novel, "Snow Falling On Cedars") is a public high school teacher who, with his wife, taught his own kids at home. His book isn't about how to homeschool; rather, it's a look at the reasons, both historical and practical, to do so. While he addresses some common concerns like "What about socialization?" (although that's a rather dated question now), he focuses more on what homeschooling means for us as a society and how we got to this place where so many people have lost confidence in institutional education. For example, "What if all the involved parents take their kids out of school?", "Is taking your child out of school supportive of democracy?" and "Does public school serve us now the way it did when it was conceived during the industrial revolution?" While all this theory and history might sound dry, Guterson presents it in terms of his own experience as a teacher, a dad, and a member of the tightly-knit community of Bainbridge Island. Also, he's a gifted writer and I enjoyed his style and gentle wit.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Matters.