Robotbee's Reviews > Ilium

Ilium by Dan Simmons

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: amazing

A friend lent me this book (the same one who gave me Guns, Germs, and Steel and Year of Rice and Salt). The truth is, I would never have chosen it on my own; however, I am very glad he did (and that I have a compulsion to read whatever a person gives me) because I LOVED it!

I am not the hugest fan of the Iliad/Odyssey, having been forced to read most of it in English for various classes throughout high school and college, and translate parts of it from Latin in college. Nor am I the hugest fan of science fiction in general. I expected this to be a very long 700 and some pages, and not the brilliant, amazing piece of writing I found it to be.

It started out slow, with several different story lines happening at once and lots of terminology to adjust to and time-line issues to sort out (and actually I took a break around pg 300 to read A Red Herring Without Mustard), but not long after that, once I had started reading again, I found I couldn't put it down. I read the last 400 pages at an indecent speed. It was SO rewarding. The different stories came together in a very satisfying way, and all questions are answered. Very, very good. Highly recommended. Wow wow wow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ilium.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Grubb Well I'm glad YOU have time to read. I am grading fifth grade tests while a baby attacks my ankles.

Robotbee Your baby is extra cute. If you lived in Athens, I would hold your baby and grade your tests for you so you could read.

But you don't, because you are a hater.