Danielle's Reviews > The Last Blind Date

The Last Blind Date by Linda Yellin

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, for-review, chicklit
Read in November, 2011

Is it possible to find love later in life, especially after your first love is no longer living? For Linda Yellin the future wasn’t certain and her sudden friendship with a man who lived a plane ride away was far from a sure thing. After two and a half years of plane hopping, phone conversations and meeting his children they finally take the plunge and begin their lives together. What begins as a “no strings attached” phone call turns into a love story readers will fall head over heels for.

I’m completely smitten! This was a complete surprise. When I first picked up The Last Blind Date by Linda Yellin I honestly had no idea it was a memoir and until I finally checked the summary again at the half way point, I was completely surprised. Linda’s story is one that has you believing in happily ever after in the “real world” and not only in books. It was wonderful to read how she never gave up, but at the same time never pushed Randy into something he wasn’t comfortable with. What resulted was an incredibly happy and romantic marriage. Which personally was something I absolutely adored!

What was interesting was how the story starts. The first chapter/prologue is actually from Randy’s point of view as he’s telling about how he’s determined to stay distant from women, never getting into a serious relationship and never introducing them to his children from his previous marriage. In contrast to Linda’s predicament of recovering from the loss of a husband who died of cancer after their divorce, leaving her questioning how she’d treated him during his short life. After their initial phone call (Randy’s in New York and Linda in Chicago) they’re both determined to take things easy with no expectations. I loved how their relationship developed, there was none of the heaviness or ultimatums you find in other new relationships. I’m positive that had quite a bit to do with it being their second relationship, but as a reader it was refreshing and incredibly less conflicting.

The Last Blind Date by Linda Yellin is a romantic and fun memoir for readers who love a happily ever after. Linda and Randy’s relationship is slow going, but the book is anything but. Once I picked up The Last Blind Date I couldn’t put it down and when I had to I kept thinking about it. I loved how laid back Randy was and the Linda was a fish out of water in the Big Apple. Her transition to the fast paced life found in New York with a new job, step-children and the loss of close friends was what pulled me through the story page after page, but it was her love story with Randy that stole my heart.

My original review was posted at Chick Lit Reviews and News.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Blind Date.