Pattyrflg's Reviews > The Two Towers

U_50x66
Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in November, 2011

My suggestion would be to read each book and watch the corresponding movie after reading each book. Although the movies do not follow the books exactly, they were exceptionally well done and they depict some of the main events. Watching the movie of the Fellowship of the Ring brought the characters alive and helped me visualize them and the locations they travelled through. The second movie, The Two Towers, has some significant changes from the book, so watch the movie after reading the book.

The Fellowship is separated at the end of the first book and two groups head out on very different paths. I enjoyed this book better than the Fellowship of the Ring probably because I watched the first movie and when I read this second book I had a visual image of each of the characters and that helped me follow the story more closely and be more interested in what happened to each one.

The first half of the book (or Book 2) follows Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli as they chase after the orcs who have taken the hobbits Pippin and Merry captive. It appears these are a new breed of orcs since they travel in the daylight, as well as their accustomed love of the darkness and night. Aragorn correctly surmises they are heading towards Isengard and the tower of their master, Saruman the wizard who has turned his allegiance to the dark Lord Sauron. I won’t give away anymore of the adventures, but just say there are many more surprises for the hobbits, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.

The second half of the book (or Book 3) is devoted to Frodo and Sam. They capture Gollum and he swears by the ring that he will serve Frodo and take him to the black gate of Mordor. Sam is very leery of Gollum and does not trust him or his pledge to Frodo. On the other hand, Frodo feels great compassion for Gollum and understands his conflicted personalities and his desire for the ring. Gollum says he knows the way through the marshes and that no orcs travel through them because they are afraid of them. When they reach the black gate, they realize they will never be able to enter Mordor by this route. Gollum says he knows another way. Frodo recognizes the name and remembers Gandalf saying it is very dangerous route and it should not be used. But Frodo makes the decision to try this route, since they can not just walk into Mordor through the gate. The ring is becoming heavier and heavier for Frodo to bear, but he knows there is no hope for Middle Earth unless he can resist its power and destroy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two Towers.