Andrew's Reviews > Lobster Johnson, Vol. 1: The Iron Prometheus

M_50x66
Jul 14, 08

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in July, 2008

This Hellboy spin-off, written by creator Mike Mignola, really has the feel of an old pulp adventure. Lots of weird set-pieces take precedence over character, as we see what Lobster Johnson does and how he does it, but don't learn anything about who he is. Having said that, we do delve deeper into the supporting cast, although the emphasis is still very firmly on plot. The art, by Jason Armstrong, does a great job of communicating the spirit of Mignola's own work, but still has a clear style of its own.

Unfortunately, by tying the events from this book into current developments in the BPRD series, the story sacrifices a certain amount of closure. What it gains in being part of the overall Hellboy universe, it loses as a standalone title. Although I may be misjudging the book, since I do know that elements carry over into BPRD and Hellboy; if I wasn't aware of that, I might have found this one to have a perfectly fine, if slightly ambiguous, ending.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lobster Johnson, Vol. 1.