Matt's Reviews > Inheritance

M 50x66
Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, young-adult, fantasy
Read from November 23 to December 01, 2011

Seeing as I had read the previous novels, I felt obliged to read this novel if only to know the conclusion. While I am not particularly fond of Paolini's writing style, he is a good story teller and owed it to myself to hear him out in his final installment.

Compared to the other in the series, Inheritance definitely picked up the pace as far as action scenes go. There were several battles that were fought throughout the novel and Paolini did a decent job of describing the action, often between at least two viewpoints. Most of the scenes were easy enough to conjure up an image of what was going on, and had reasonable outcomes.

As with his other books, this one did have the obligatory "world-building" or what I consider dull parts. But in no way were they nearly as long or boring as in Eldest. There was still a lot of frowing pains for Eragon, Sapphira and Roran, as well as Arya to some extent.

One of the biggest problems (probably why I rated it 3 instead of 4 stars) is that the conclusion comes relatively early. There is way too much in the way of "after the fact" explanations and events. The actual conclusion didn't bother me so much as the fact that it took such a roundabout way getting to it.

Decent conclusion to an okay series. Overall I enjoyed it but found it flawed in places.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.

11/23/2011 page 120
14.0% "Reading this only because I invested time in the previous three. Not really excited about it, but am looking forward to the conclusion so that I can cross a series off of list. So far it is what I expect from Paolini; mediocre pace, fast battle and pages upon pages of filler that dulls the mind."
11/25/2011 page 260
30.0% "If only the first book had been "Roran" instead of Eragon, I may be enjoying this a bit more. 30% of the way through and although there has been more action that in the previous books, it still seems to lag a bit in between. Overall I am enjoying it slightly more than Brisingr and Eldest"
11/29/2011 page 450
52.0% "Well, I am half completed this book and while not the best thing I have ever read, it is better than the other 3 so far. There is more action, slightly less wordy prose and slowly but surely some closure is beginning to occur with respect to the subplots and glacially toward the climax of the series. Hope to be done by the end of the week."
show 1 hidden update…