Shannon's Reviews > The Red Garden

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: popular-fiction
Read from November 23, 2011 to February 11, 2012

Wow! I'd never read Hoffman before. I've been struggling with this book and The Dovekeepers for a few months now. Why have I been struggling? Both of these books are just so .... I'm almost speechless. Hoffman creates characters who are so real and stories that have such truth. Given that, though, they leave me feeling such raw emotions. The stories within this book made me think, encouraged me to question, and brought me to both tears and laughter, though mostly tears. It makes sense to me that this is a collection of short stories. Each contained such emotion and, often, tragedy that it was a relief when they ended. Or, did their abrupt endings make bearing the sadness of those stories more difficult? It was an amazing book, but I needed to be in the right frame of mind to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Garden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I may have to check this one out, Shannon! Btw, I just read the Sweet Gum Tree, Katherine Allred, and it was outstanding! I think you'd love it, fyi! :)

Shannon Mmmm.... I'm always looking for a new author and a new book I can fall in love with! Thanks. I'm going to look it up right now!

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Yay! It's not expensive either, $1.49 or so on Nook or Kindle. I still cannot believe how much I loved this book! It also got GREAT reviews on GR and that's a little tough.