Kayleigh {K-Books}'s Reviews > As I Wake

As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott

Nov 27, 11

Read from November 23 to 27, 2011

As I Wake Review on K-Books

This is probably the hardest review I have ever had to write. I really liked this book but at the same time I kinda disliked it as well. It is a very strange book and the reader is confused while reading it but that didn't really bother me.

Ava wakes up with a serious case of amnesia. She doesn't know who she is, where she is, or any of these people around her. But then she starts having memories. Not of this world but of a different one. As she uncovers more strange memories she also uncovers the truth of two very different worlds that have been woven together by other's actions.

While reading this book I didn't really understand why it had received such a low rating from people. It is a confusing book but that really didn't bother me. The narrator has amnesia, so doesn't really know what's going on and since you see the story through her eyes the reader is confused and unsure of what is going on. I found the book really interesting and the writing technique was amazing. Even though I was confused and unsure of what was going on the way it was wrote kept me completely hooked throughout the book and I had a difficult time putting it down. The more I read and the more unusual memories were uncovered the more I couldn't put it down as I couldn't wait to find out what had happened to Ava.

I think one of the reasons I liked this book was Ava is very much stuck between two worlds. One normal-day world and one dystopia-type world where everything was different. I am a huge fan of dystopian books so I really liked this different take on a dystopian novel where there was a dystopia world and a normal-day world living at the same time with the main character having lived in one and suddenly finding herself in the other.

I was extremely torn between what rating I should give this book. I would love to give it 4 stars because I thought it was a great original storyline and I really enjoyed reading it. However the ending really let me down and to me the ending is very important to a story. As much as the whole book was kinda confusing the ending was just bizarre. I didn't really get it and when I got to the end I was like really? That's it? The ending definitely wasn't explained very well and I was left wondering what happened to all the other characters. You don't even really understand what happens to Ava. I made my own personal assumption about what the ending meant but you really don't know and you don't know what happened to any of the other characters in either of the worlds and I really didn't like it.

I think As I Wake was a great book. It's original and unique and I loved that about the book but to me the ending is important and I really didn't like the ending. Really the rating for this book is somewhere in between 3 and 4 stars and it's a good book and I would love to read it again. However the ending was a let down and that lowered the star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As I Wake.

11/24/2011 page 116