Tori's Reviews > The Prince of Mist

The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: fiction

I LOVE Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Shadow of the Wind and Angel's Game were superb books - great stories, excellent writing, and satisfactory endings. This book is his first novel, a young adult book, just recently published. Even as I began it, I recognized the great writing - which is actually a great translation. His stories are always magical - nothing is quite as normal as it seems, and his magic is rather dark. the story takes place during WWII, in a seaside village, where a family has recently moved to escape the war. Max, the boy, and his oldest sister Alicia, meet a local boy named Roland, and the three of them try to discover what the creepy things happening around them mean. This is the type of story I would have loved as a child =- spooky, but not gross. The teens learn about Cain, a kind of fortune teller/hypnotist who supposedly died in a shipwreck years ago. He was able to grant wishes, but also as payment, exacted a steep price from his "clients". Anyway - this book was a page turner and kept me interested - until the very end. I was so disappointed with how Zafon ended the story. Not all endings can be happy, but there were too many loose ends and the whole story seemed to just stop. but - because the majority of it was gripping, I still gave it 4*. Maybe I also expected more, having read his other books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Mist.