E.A.'s Reviews > The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

Nov 28, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, mystery
Read from November 23 to 25, 2011

I have been waiting for this book for some time and while I really enjoyed it, it wasn't exactly what I expected. This is a companion novel to the MISTBORN trilogy which takes place hundreds of years after the series concludes. What really captured my attention about it is that Sanderson blends fantasy and western together. I wasn't sure at first how well that would work with the magic system using metal and westerns involving a lot of metal when you consider the guns and bullets. The story is a mystery at heart. I kept trying to guess how everything would play out and I didn't get all of the pieces.

The characters were the reason why I really loved this story. They are so vivid and I could picture them in my minds eye as they rushed about from place to place trying to figure out everything. I have read a lot of Sanderson's books and I was pleased that these characters are just as unique and I didn't feel like any of them had been recycled from previous stories. There is a great bond between them with clever humor and quips throughout the whole thing. It is a book that I highly recommend if only for people to get the idea of how to make fantasy fresh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alloy of Law.