Renae's Reviews > The Nymph King

The Nymph King by Gena Showalter

7022048
Nov 28, 11

Read from November 23 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy

It was the first fiction book I picked in year 2011 (yes, I haven't read a book for almost a year), and it reminded me of how much I'd fallen in love with paranormal romance since young until this heavy school workload curses came falling upon me as I grow. Now I'm back. Falling in love with these stories again, from these amazing authors that have the "powers" to make me secretly crave for more of these oh-so-hot stories.

I am so glad I stumbled upon Gena Showalter. Her books are honestly, my type of books. Perhaps that's the reason why I picked this book and broke my almost one year curse of not reading fiction.

The Nymph King screams of sensuality. That's how he was described nearly everywhere in the book. He didn't have to do anything. He just had to... exist. Ah, yes that's the word. Exist. Shaye seems to be the only one who can resist him, not affected by his arrogant beauty. The almighty my-body-is-here guy pleasing her in ever way and she says no.

"Did you dream of me?" he asked.

"Yes," she admitted grudgingly. She had. She'd dreamed of his hands caressing her, of his mouth devouring her.

His lush lips inched into a surprised but pleased smile.

"You were naked," she told him.

His grin spread; his eyes gleamed with satisfaction.

"And tied up..."

He arched his eye brows in smug expectation. "I did not know the idea of bondage would please you."

"Oh, I love the idea of typing you up." She paused dramatically. "Just like in my dream, you'll be secured to an ant-hill and the little things will eat you alive."

I like her attitude.

After reading around 80 per cent of the book, she suddenly gives in. I know it gets kinda draggy when someone keeps saying no to an obvious love from a guy described to be that sensual, but I was hoping to have more. Shaye certainly has a strong character to resist a nymph's touch, but ... if there could be perhaps, something more into the story, when she finally accepted his love.

Since I chose to pick the third book out of the Atlantis series, there are some points in which I didn't quite understand, like parts on the dragon and the vampire. So... I'll be starting from book #1 of the Atlantis Series after this review.

Loved this book, has interesting content, and deserves a 4.5 / 5.

Also posted this review on my blog, www.ohdearlife.com.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nymph King.

Quotes Renae Liked

Gena Showalter
“I love this quote when Valerian the King of the Nymphs says to his mate Shaye;

"I am Valerian, leader of the nymphs. You may call me Oh God, that is what the other surface dwellers have preferred to call me".”
Gena Showalter, The Nymph King

Gena Showalter
“Did you dream of me?" he asked.

His lush lips inched into a surprised but pleased smile.

"You were naked," she told him.

His grin spread; his eyes gleamed with satisfaction.

"And tied up..."

"Oh, I love the idea of typing you up." She paused dramatically. "Just like in my dream, you'll be secured to an ant-hill and the little things will eat you alive.”
Gena Showalter, The Nymph King
tags: humor

Rachael lol yeah i read mine out of sequence too like the first ive read was Vampire King (book 4 i think) and theh this one books 3 ... i have Jewel of atlantis which was mentioned in this book where Valerian asked Layel if they had found the jewel of atlantis yet (which by the bio is a woman not a gem) .. so im picking thats book 2 ? and heart of the dragon book 1?

Renae Rachael wrote: "lol yeah i read mine out of sequence too like the first ive read was Vampire King (book 4 i think) and theh this one books 3 ... i have Jewel of atlantis which was mentioned in this book where Val..."

Hmm... jewel of atlantis should be book 1... or is it book 2 :O

Rachael i think its book 2 and heart of the dragon book 1?? (someone did post a list somewhere and im sure it was in that order)
there is a book 5 : amazons curse but i havent managed to find that one in nz yet .. dunno about overseas (i sometimes get them from book depository too)

Renae Rachael wrote: "i think its book 2 and heart of the dragon book 1?? (someone did post a list somewhere and im sure it was in that order)

Ah, I just get the ebooks :D It's cheaper alternative for me~

Rachael heheheh awwww okies :) ...

yeah theres a store in new zealand (where im from) that has been selling the books at 60% off so been getting them for 7-8 dollars
but i do like ebooks too but haven gotten all my ones of this series on paperback as been on sale :)

Renae Rachael wrote: "heheheh awwww okies :) ...

but i do like ebooks too but haven g..."

I see! :D

Rachael heheheh :) so what ya reading now cean ? have ya read all the series ?
im just about to start on Jewel of atlantis ... (though dunno what it will be like as the guy is human this time not mythical and i think the girl is a godess

Renae Rachael wrote: "heheheh :) so what ya reading now cean ? have ya read all the series ?

I took a break from Showalter's books after her book titled "Animal Instincts", because her books are so awesome that I spent too much time reading them instead of reading my textbooks and revising haha! But I'm going for the Vampire King next :D

Rachael hahahah cool :) .. yeah im reading jewel of atlantis but im not enjoying it as much as the others .. maybe bc i dont find the guy attractive AT all ??!

Renae Rachael wrote: "hahahah cool :) .. yeah im reading jewel of atlantis but im not enjoying it as much as the others .. maybe bc i dont find the guy attractive AT all ??!"

Really!? Wow, I think I should put that book to the last of my to-read list XD

Rachael Jewel ya mean ? its not too bad (though i dont feel the attraction to gray) the action is good in it too
i thiinbk ya might like it

what ya reading right now ?

Renae I'm reading my textbook haha! I put aside "Blacklisted" by Showalter for awhile, until after my exams :D

Rachael hahaha yeah they get addictive aye

ppl always know when im reading a good book .. as they never see me online :)
*rofl*

Renae Rachael wrote: "hahaha yeah they get addictive aye

ppl always know when im reading a good book .. as they never see me online :)
*rofl*"

LOL, that's a good way to know yeah haha!