A.J.'s Reviews > The Outsiders

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Jun 07, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in June, 2008

Overrated, thy name is Hinton.

About three chapters into the book I flipped to the book jacket summary and found out that a teenage girl had written it. I thought, "That explains it."

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a BAD book by any means. It's got heart, atmosphere, good characters. But what chaps my ass about it being the 'second best-selling young adult novel of all time' (I presume Ms. Rowling is responsible for the 'second') is that it rarely manages to transcend mediocre. It's emotional––but not a tear jerker. It's original––but not THAT original. What I'm left thinking is that this book only sold based on the age of its author. Much like the Eragon Question which I'm expecting the neo-Nazi's to find an answer to, being young doesn't put your work on a special-consideration pedestal in my mind. Your book either works or it doesn't. If it does then we go onto comparisons with other stories. This is where The Outsiders starts to fall behind on the run.

However, being that I'm such a forgiving fellow in my reading, I have to say I liked reading it. That is to say, I wasn't begging for the end. But the best (or second or third or fourth...) young adult novel of all time? You've GOT to be kidding me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsiders.