Carmen's Reviews > Empire of Dragons

Empire of Dragons by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

Nov 23, 2011

liked it
Read from November 23 to December 01, 2011

Started out slow and the dialogue came across as wooden. As the story went on though it showed invention and careful plotting. A surprise sleeper. The central idea: that Roman soldiers had escaped the destruction of the battle of Carrae and resettled within China's borders is not as far fetched as it sounds. The author admits this book is imagination and fiction but is based on recent historical finds. My only problem was once again it becomes an imitation of a Hollywood script with a big kung fu battle at the end. Still, an interesting diversion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Dragons.

11/23/2011
11/24/2011
27.0% "Uhm...dialogue is flat and it seems like the author is working out what he wants the characters to do through the characters voices: translation, boring. What should have been an exciting and amazing book(Roman soldiers discover China) is proving to be a chore. I'm hoping its the translation."
11/26/2011
47.0% "Getting better. I enjoyed the description of the Chinese Prince and some battle sequences. The musings on why Romans and Chinese never got together to whip the Persian Empire was thought provoking. Unfortunately the dialogue was so wooden that I felt like I was reading a history text."
11/27/2011
61.0% "The action is picking up. But I think the best description of the book is that it reads like a Platonic Dialogue comparing the Chinese and Roman Cultures with some fight scene narratives thrown it. Thought provoking though."
show 4 hidden updates…