Chachic's Reviews > Such a Rush

Aug 08, 14

bookshelves: ebooks, best-of-2012, ya-contemps-recs
Read from July 11 to 15, 2012

Originally posted here

It has never been my dream to become a pilot. I was briefly interested for a time but then I found out that there's a height requirement and I wouldn't make it. I have the utmost respect for pilots though - I think what they do is amazing. And I'm a big fan of strong women so I think lady pilots are awesome. It's funny because I wasn't actively seeking to read novels that feature women as pilots but I've ended up loving two such titles this year: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein and now Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols.

Jennifer Echols' Going Too Far was one of the first contemporary YA novels that I fell in love with. I've read the rest of her books after that, hoping that they'd be just as good but they didn't live up to Going Too Far. Until Such A Rush came along. Now I have another Jennifer Echols novel that I can enthusiastically recommend. I felt so bad for Leah - her story made me realize that not everyone who lives in a first world country has a good life. It made me sad that she didn't have access to so many things that we all take for granted - internet, cellphones, buying groceries and take out whenever we need to. I'm amazed at how she took control of her own life because she doesn't want to be stuck in a trailer park her whole life. I also loved the tension between Leah and Grayson, with all the ambiguity of their relationship. Jennifer Echols sure knows how to build up a slow burn romance. I was rooting for the two of them to get together even if they had to work through so many issues. Highly recommended for fans of swoon-worthy contemporary YA.
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Rush.

Quotes Chachic Liked

Jennifer Echols
“Most people hear an airplane in the sky and think, ‘There’s an airplane,’ and go back to what they were doing. A few folks look around for the airplane, try to figure out what kind of plane it is, and watch it from the time they spot it to the time it disappears on the horizon, maybe after that. Those kids are the ones who will be pilots." He pointed at me. "I knew that about you. I’ve just been waiting for you to show up.”

Jennifer Echols
“I squeezed the controls to brace myself so I wouldn’t shiver with the chill of wanting. Normal people got that feeling when they quit smoking cigarettes. I had gotten it then too.
Normal people did not get that feeling when faced with danger.”

Jennifer Echols
“When I’m with you," he began again, "it’s like… I still don’t feel normal. But I can see normal at twelve o’clock on the horizon." He pointed past me, through the windshield of an imaginary airplane. "At least I know normal is still out there. I’ve spent the last three months not sure of that at all.”
Jennifer Echols, Such a Rush

11.0% "Yay, another Jennifer Echols romance! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be just as good as Going Too Far." 4 comments
20.0% "I feel bad for Leah, she's had such a hard life. I hope things start looking up for her soon. Grayson seems like a promising (swoon-worthy) male lead."
35.0% ""And we were right to silence each other with food. It was better that we never apologized to each other. Then we'd be admitting that we were wrong and we owed each other something. That's where people got into trouble.""