Heather's Reviews > The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: american-literature, classics
Read from April 24 to May 02, 2012

Now this is the way to read books by authors who are just a little too prosy. I would probably skip on past the narrator's work resume and start reading Hester Prynne's story. The story goes so much better in the plain English version--I read it in one sitting cause the story was so good. I think Hester could have done better than the Reverend, Mr. Dimmesdale! All three of my kids had to read this book so I finally decided to read it too. I plan on reading all the No Fear Shakespeare plays too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Letter.

Quotes Heather Liked

Nathaniel Hawthorne
“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”

Nathaniel Hawthorne
“It contributes greatly towards a man's moral and intellectual health, to be brought into habits of companionship with individuals unlike himself, who care little for his pursuits, and whose sphere and abilities he must go out of himself to appreciate.”

Nathaniel Hawthorne
“Such is frequently the fate, and such the stern development, of the feminine character and person, when the woman has encountered, and lived through, an experience of peculiar severity. If she be all tenderness, she will die. If she survive, the tenderness will either be crushed out of her, or--and the outward semblance is the same--crushed so deeply into her heart that it can never show itself more.”
tags: truism