June Ahern's Reviews > Copper Sun

Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper

Nov 22, 11

Read in November, 2011

From the moment the first line was finished, I was captured. This is my first read of author Sharon Draper and will not be my last. The story is an emotional ride, and very hard to read...I was angry, sad, frustrated, happy for any little meager piece of relief and finally I sighed. Not a "feely goodie" time story, but to know what one can endure just to live, is remarkable. Will keep that in mind when I'm whining.

The story is of Amari a 15 year old African. Ms. Draper gives only a short read, but wonderfully descriptive about Amari and her family and life with her tribe. And then they come, the white soldiers and another African tribe, to capture and kill Amari's people. That is the start of a very long and horrible journey to a new - a foreign place, the Carolina's in America. - where she begins her life as a slave.

Amari is such a brave young woman and intelligent - she has to learn English in a short time. Her survival is dependent upon it as she works among other slaves a plantation. Her master, Mr. Derby - and if I could have killed him - I believe I would have (that's how vividly descriptive this book is)who buys Amari for his 16 yr son. And after what happened on the ship, the rapes, she is now subject to this young cruel man. Bought at the same time 15 yr old, a white indentured slave.

And then there is Master Derby's young pregnant wife whose baby, when born, is a devastating surprise that puts into motion a huge change for Amari and Polly.

I couldn't stop reading Copper Sun. It's a powerful poignant historical fiction. Kudos to Sharon Draper's Copper Sun for winning the Coretta Scott King Award.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Copper Sun.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Williams-Pope I agree if i could kill Derby i would because he was so inconsiderate and just rude. The book to me was good because of how vivid descriptions were. It was so interesting and kept me wanting to read more and more. I also agree with you this is not an all happy smiles book. It goes into depth on how slaves were treated.