Jason's Reviews > With Rigor for All: Meeting Common Core Standards for Reading Literature

With Rigor for All by Carol Jago

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: professional
Read from November 22 to 24, 2011

Carol Jago is old school. She has her students memorize poetry. She leads her students through deep class discussions on classics like Great Expectations. She always has her students reading at least two novels at the same time. And, apparently, her students buy into her methods.

Perhaps old school is not the right phrase. A more precise word is in the title: rigor. Carol Jago's English classes are rigorous. She makes a great case for increasing the rigor in all English classrooms and thus meeting Common Core Standards.

I came away with some great new ideas, but I also felt shamed for sometimes using multiple choice or matching tests in my classroom.

What's lacking in this book is a direct explanation of Common Core when it comes to literature/reading. CC is sequential, and I would have appreciated a similar approach in this book. As the book is currently organized, the lesson and activity examples occur sporadically in the thematic chapters.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With Rigor for All.

11/22/2011 page 80