Mercedes's Reviews > Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore

Nov 25, 11

bookshelves: ya, favourites, forever-reread, heroines-with-abilities, series, completed-series
Read from November 24 to 25, 2011

Kristin Cashore is absolutely brilliant and my new favourite author.

In Fire, we meet whole new cast of characters (excluding Leck, that is, which is where the ties to Graceling comes in), just as lovely as the first- I know before I said I was disappointed, but that was before I met them! I think this time around, I felt a bigger connection to the characters than I did in Graceling.
Especially Fire and her struggle against what she is. She has problems with her beauty, constantly has to cover her hair in order to fend off men, women, and monsters- think of a moth and a candle it'll get so close it'll kill itself because it's attracted to the light. Her period also puts her in danger, from what I understood, it was the scent of her blood that drove monsters wild, not totally with desire, but because she was monster prey. Her journey is full of heartache and she really pulled my heart strings. I like how fearless she is, even when faced with something dire, she kept pushing.

Archer, Fires friend (and lover at times), was one I really liked up until he got the dreaded jealous lover syndrome. Otherwise, I liked his hothead and how cocky he could be. Really, I pretty much liked every character, the bad guys, the royal family (our grey eyed prince, Brigan), the guards, I can't find a lot of fault in them.

Personally, I think Fire was even better than Graceling. The story itself is enough to make you keep reading. I teared up a bunch of times, because there are times that are just so heartbreaking and it was all I could do but sniff. Not that the story is incredibly sad and dreary, most of the time it's fast paced and you're glued to your seat just begging to find out what's next. You get a lot of questions by the time the book has ended, but you're left with even more questions that have been answered.
What I really liked though was the monsters throughout the story. Monster leopards, monster cats, monster mice, monster raptors, all with different colours. Reds, golds, greens, just weird looking monster animals. I loved reading about them and I think having Fire as a monster made me even more fascinated.

I want to comment on the debate of sexuality in Fire. For some reason, it's getting people riled up. The writing alludes to sex, and gives no descriptions, but it seems that a casual attitude for sex is just unforgivable. Fire stated she does not want children, therefore she takes a medicine after having sex to stop pregnancy from happening- a birth control. If Fire has a casual attitude toward sex, I don't see it. She was having a relationship with her best friend -a person she loved-, a relationship that gradually became more. If having sex with one person counts as casual sex, then off with their heads and everyone elses who has had sex at seventeen!
While, yes, people are having sex, getting pregnant without meaning to, producing illegitimate children, but doesn't this happen in real life? Don't people cheat in real life?

Again, Fire is better than Graceling, just as good, but it surpasses it when it comes to the characters. If you loved Graceling, you'll love Fire even more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.

Quotes Mercedes Liked

Kristin Cashore
“It was a very hard thing to have crushed the heart, and the hopes, of a friend.”

Kristin Cashore
“There will be no yelling at people who are bleeding themselves to unconsciousness.”

Kristin Cashore
“Then come here," he said, a bit redundantly, as he had already pulled her with him into an armchair and curled her up in his arms. "Tell me what I can do to help you feel better."
Fire looked into his quiet eyes, touched his dear, familiar face, and considered the question. Well. I always like when you kiss me.
"Do you?"
You're good at it.
"Well," he said. "That's lucky, because I'll always be kissing you.”
tags: kiss

Kristin Cashore
“Are you determined to leave me in this world to live without my heart?”

Kristin Cashore
“I don't want to love you if you're only going to die.”

Kristin Cashore
“Well then," Roen said briskly, "are you sleeping?"
"Yes."
"Come now. A mother can tell when her son lies. Are you eating?"
"No," Brigan said gravely. "I've not eaten in two months. It's a hunger strike to protest the spring flooding in the south."
"Gracious," Roen said, reaching for the fruit bowl. "Have an apple, dear.”

Kristin Cashore
“You're the queen, and it's the queen's house, and whatever Brigan may accomplish, he's highly unlikely ever to be queen.”

11/24/2011
41.0% "I think I love Fire better than I do Graceling."
11/24/2011
61.0% "I adore Brigan. Can I keep him?"
show 1 hidden update…