Serene's Reviews > To Seduce an Earl

To Seduce an Earl by Lori Brighton

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: male-prostitute
Read from November 22, 2011 to January 01, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I picked up this book, because I usually enjoy stories featuring different types of heroes and in this novel, the hero Alex is a prostitute. Unfortunately, Alex is filled with such loathing for himself and his profession that at times it made the story unenjoyable and made me wonder how he could function. At times his responses and actions seemed rather young and his treatment of the heroine so bitter, it made me like the story a lot less. I can see a naive guy acting this way, but if he hates his job and being an h00ker so much, he should plan and execute his escape. I know Lady Lavender held these guys captive, but she also takes them out around town. It seems like he had ample opportunities to leave if he wanted to.

When half the novel had passed and Alex is still stuck in Lavender's clutches I just grew impatient. I can deal with heroes and heroines being held captive. But if they can't and don't rescue themselves after half a book filled with wangst and rage at their situation, then I lose interest. Such was the case with To Seduce an Earl.

I can't say the story felt romantic either. Alex fell for the heroine, but really I didn't see a lot of great chemistry there. She seems an awkward ineffectual 'John' with Alex playing the bitter abused prostitute and Lavender the evil scheming Madame.

I guess if I were writing it, I'd tone Alex outrage down, and make Lavender less of a villain, or perhaps write it after Alex had time to recover from his wangst and trauma at his situation. Alex's emotions are just so resentful and raw, I didn't feel he had recovered sufficiently or liked himself enough to begin a relationship with anyone, let alone marry or be a partner to anyone. Perhaps after he had time to heal, this would be more believable to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Seduce an Earl.