Serena's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

May 06, 12

bookshelves: romance, vampire
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

Quotes Serena Liked

J.R. Ward
“Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy, he thought. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistable urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippee.”

J.R. Ward
“You've won the evolutionary lottery: You're a vampire. Let's go to Disneyland!”

J.R. Ward
“Some bridges you crossed on your own, no matter who drove you to the edge”

J.R. Ward
“...Bringing the very heavens close enough to touch.
It was Zsadist.
His eyes closed, his head back, his mouth wide open, he sang.
The scarred one, the souless one, had the voice of an angel.”

J.R. Ward
“Perfect date material, she thought. A vampire with the social equivalent of road rage.

---Beth about Wrath”

J.R. Ward
“There was a loud scraping noise as five chairs slid backward. The men rose as a unit. And started coming for her. She looked to the faces of the two she knew, but their grave expressions weren't encouraging. And then the knives came out. With a metallic whoosh, five black daggers were unsheathed. She backed up frantically, hands in front of herself. She slammed into a wall and was about to scream for Wrath when the men dropped down on bended knees in a circle around her. In a single movement, as if they'd been choreographed, they buried the daggers into the floor at her feet and bowed their heads. The great whoomp of sound as steel met wood seemed both a pledge and a battle cry. The handles of the knives vibrated. The rap music continued to pound. They seemed to be waiting for some kind of response from her.
"Umm. Thank you," she said.
The men's heads lifted. Etched into the harsh planes of their faces was total reverence. Even the scarred one had a respectful expression. And then Wrath came in with a squeeze bottle of Hershey's syrup.
"Bacon's on the way." He smiled. "Hey, they like you."
"And thank God for that," she murmured, looking down at the daggers.”

J.R. Ward
“Thank you for caring for my brother."
He took his sunglasses off.
And looked at her with total adoration.”

J.R. Ward
“And I left the aspirin next to the phone with a tall glass of water. Figured you weren’t going to be able to make it to the coffeepot. Take three, turn your ringer off, and sleep. If anything exciting happens, I’ll come and get you.”
“I love you, honey.”
“So buy me a mink and a nice pair of earrings for our anniversary.”
“You got it.”

J.R. Ward
“You have cable?” He nodded toward her TV.
She tossed him the clicker. “Sure do. And if I remember, there’s a Godzilla marathon on TBS tonight.”
“Sweet,” the vampire said, kicking his legs out. “I always root for the monster.”
She smiled at him. “Me, too.”

J.R. Ward
“I want that," he said fiercely.
"What?"
"For you to be around."
Her breath caught. A tenuous hope took fire in her chest. "Really?"
He closed his glowing eyes and shook his head. "Yeah. It's fucking stupid. It's crazy. It's dangerous."
"So it'll fit right into your life script."
He laughed and looked down at her. "Yeah, pretty much.”

J.R. Ward
“Now tell me something. What’s your word for husband?”
“Hellren, I suppose. The short version is just hell.”
She laughed softly. “Go figure.”

J.R. Ward
“No, thanks.” Rhage laughed. “I’m a good little sewer, as you know firsthand. Now who’s your friend?”
“Beth Randall, this is Rhage. An associate of mine. Rhage, this is Beth, and she doesn’t do movie stars, got it?”
“Loud and clear.” Rhage leaned to one side, trying to see around Wrath. “Nice to meet you, Beth.”
“Are you sure you don’t want to go to a hospital?” she said weakly.
“Nah. This one’s just messy. When you can use your large intestine as a belt loop, that’s when you hit the pros.”

“I'll cab it home."
"Naw. I'll hang until you're through. Then I'll drag you back to your apartment. Watch you throw up for an hour. Push you into bed. Before I leave I'll get the coffee machine set up. Aspirin will be right next to the sugar bowl."
"I don't have a sugar bowl."
"So it'll be next to the bag."
Butch smiled. "You'd have made a great wife, Jose."
"That's what mine tells me.”

J.R. Ward
“Rhage nodded. “The place is also big enough. We could all live there without killing each other.”
“That depends more on your mouth than any floor plan,” Phury said with a grin.”

J.R. Ward
“The human reached inside Wrath’s jacket and started pulling out weapons. Three throwing stars, a switchblade, a handgun, a length of chain.
“Jesus Christ,” the cop muttered as he dropped the steel links on the ground with the rest of the load. “You got some ID? Or wasn’t there enough room in here for a wallet, considering you’re carrying about thirty pounds of concealed weapons?”

J.R. Ward
“Wrath clapped his brother on the shoulder. On the whole, though, the SOB was a total keeper. “Forgiven, forgotten.”
“Feel free to hammer me anytime.”
“Believe me, I do.”