Adrian Rush's Reviews > Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means

Where White Men Fear to Tread by Russell Means

I grew up in a small Michigan town named for an Indian chief who gave his life to save the white settlers there. More importantly, my own ancestry includes some Cherokee and Blackfoot blood. So I've always taken a special interest in American Indians and their struggles to maintain their identity, their dignity, and even their lives. That's why I was attracted to Russell Means' story. This libertarian Lakota is as mad as hell, and he's not going to take it anymore. Not content to live as a broken spirit on a reservation, where he saw his people living in squalor, slaves to addiction and reduced to living on meager handouts from an indifferent government, Means led demonstrations and occupations at Wounded Knee, Mount Rushmore, Alcatraz, and the Bureau of Indian Affairs office, both to bring attention to the plight of Indians and to shake up the often-corrupt tribal bureaucracies themselves. Whether his activism helped or hurt his cause is up for the reader to decide, but his bravery and determination are never in question.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where White Men Fear to Tread.