Christi Snow's Reviews > The Night Is Mine

The Night Is Mine by M.L. Buchman

Jan 27, 12

Read from January 22 to 23, 2012

Whoa! At the 97% mark, I still couldn't figure out how this book was going to end. IT. WAS. SO. FREAKING. GOOD!!! Full review to come, after I let the story stew for a bit in my mind. Really an excellent book!!

My Review:
I don't even know where to start this review because I loved this book so much. Seriously, from page 1, I could not put this book down and when I was sitting at the 97% point in the book, I still couldn't see how there was going to be an HEA. OMG, it was so good, so suspenseful, and so entertaining. I LOVED THIS BOOK!

So I could start with the amazing heroine of the story, Emily Beale. She is one kick-ass chick! She is the only woman to ever make it into the highly competetive world of SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment of the Army.) She adores her job. She lives to fly her helicopters into high-stress, combat zones. She has made her way in this all-man world and has done it by being faster, tougher, and better than anyone else. When she is pulled out of this world though, to be put in the White House as the First Lady's personal chef and bodyguard, she is not happy.

Then there is the hero of the book, Major Mark Henderson. Everyone who has ever worked for him, including Emily, will tell you that he's a hardass. There is no pleasing the man. If you do well, then next time you better do better. He never lets anyone see his human side and is deeply hiding his attraction for Emily. He is ticked off when she suddenly is taken out of his command...not only because he is attracted to her, but because she is the best pilot in his unit. When there is an incident stateside where Emily is hurt, he has to be there, at least for a few hours, to check on her. He can't do anything else.

All the way through this book, the action and suspense will keep you at the edge of your seat. Never have I read such detail about flying and the intricacies of different helicopters with such passion and interest. I am a girl and I don't get into mechanical things, but reading Emily describe the different helicopters and her passion for each of them, was just incredible. The action sequences in this book left my pulse pounding and MY adrenaline levels higher. The entire book is just so well-written. Lots of detail, but never so much that you get lost or bored. It gives the entire book an incredible air of authenticity.

Then there is the romance. Mark is a Major, Emily is a Captain under his command. The regulations are very clear...NO romance allowed, but when Mark is pulled into Emily's undercover operation, things get very blurry very quickly. They both know that there is no future. They both love their job too much to give it up. These are two people who are passionate about their lives and jobs in the military, but they are also passionate about each other. Like I said, the story kept me guessing up until the very end. I just couldn't see a good resolution for this one.

I feel like I should end this review, but there were so many other layers to this story that were so good. Like the fact that Emily's childhood best friend and secret crush is now the President of the US. Her father is head of the FBI. Her mother hopes to somehow change her into the proper society wife. Then there are the peripheral stories which I hope will show up in future books, like the Delta, Michael. Did I mention how well this book was written? Just a superbly well-rounded, seriously entertaining story. REALLY INCREDIBLY GOOD BOOK!!!

BTW, I received a copy of this book as an e-book from the publisher. When I finished it, I knew that I wanted it for my keeper shelf and had seen it in my local bookstore. So the day after I read the book, I went out and bought a print copy so that I could have this book in print to re-read over and over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Is Mine.

01/23/2012 page 187
49.0% "OMG, this book is so good!!!"
01/23/2012 page 249
65.0% "Seriously, this book is brilliant. So good!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by A (new) - rated it 3 stars

A Agree with you 100% !!!