Annie Brewer's Reviews > Awake at Dawn

Awake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter

Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: favorite, absolutely-amazingly-awesome, favorite-book-covers-of-2011, nook-books, irresistable-hot-guys, favorite-authors
Read from November 27 to December 01, 2011

Just when I thought there couldn't be a better sequel. CC Hunter has outdone herself again in this epic sequel to the very amazing Born at Midnight. Awake at Dawn is compelling and a MUST READ!! But first you have to read Born at Midnight!

We left off with Kylie finally getting used to being a supernatural of some sort. Her powers getting more refined and more powerful than she'd anticipated. She can heal people, talk to ghosts, run like the wind and dreamscape. Which in my opinion would be the best power to have especially when Lucas is always there awaiting her arrival. They share intimate scenes together, many hot passionate kisses and such. It's oh so dreamy. But eventhough through most of this book, Lucas is off with Fredericka. Her feelings for Derek become more apparent. But he knows she has some kind of feelings for Lucas still so he backs off a bit. Well no, he leaves her. Eventually Lucas and Fredericka come back and things just are overwhelming for Kylie. Not knowing what she is still and with a new ghost around, there is someone in Kylie's life that is in danger and it's up to Kylie to save them. The ghost gives her little information which sends Kylie in the deep end. So much at Shadow Falls changes and there are murders and lives at stake. At some parts of the book, the descriptions practically frightened me. CC does an excellent job at describing this place as real as my own house. She is amazing. Also the character development is flipping wonderful. I think aside from Kylie and Lucas, Della is one of my absolute favorite characters. She is so sarcastic and funny but she also has a soft spot for Kylie. Their friendship blossoms and it is so beautiful to see. I LOVED this book so much!! I didn't want it to end because now I have to wait for the next one to come out in April. I really can't wait to see what happens next to the awesome characters at Shadow Falls!

I recommend this series to everyone with an imagination and a love for paranormal and romance!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awake at Dawn.

Quotes Annie Liked

C.C. Hunter
“Life isn't supposed to be easy. Generally speaking, the harder something is the more rewarding the results will be.”

C.C. Hunter
“What you are doesn't matter. Because what you are isn't going to change who you are.”

C.C. Hunter
“Maybe I'm a supernatural retard.”

C.C. Hunter
“Thanks, but that's not going to fix anything. It's like putting a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.”

C.C. Hunter
“You knocked the door down." Disbelief rang in his matter-of-fact tone.
"I know," she answered,unable to say anything else. Unable to look away from his body.
"But it's solid oak."
"I know." She felt the solid oak beneath her and a little shocked that she'd done it, too. If it mattered at all, her shoulder felt a little bruised. And it was the slight pain that brought some reality back into the moment.
"You don't have any clothes on." Oh, God, did she really say that?”

C.C. Hunter
“That woman is the most difficult, the most stubborn redhead I've ever had the displeasure of meeting."
He shot off, leaving only a blurry streak in his wake.
"And you're falling in love with her," Kylie whispered.”

C.C. Hunter
“She leaned into him to soak up his warmth.
"You are so hot," she said.
"It's about time you noticed," he teased.”

“Friday morning, Kylie, Miranda, and Della, each carting suitcases, walked
the trail to meet up with their parents. They walked slowly, like condemned prisoners moving to their executions.
“I’m going to be peeing on a drug test stick every hour,” Della
muttered.
Miranda sighed. “I’m going to screw up at my competition and my
mom is going to give me up for adoption.”
“I’m going to a ghost hunt,” Kylie added. Both girls looked at her.
“Don’t ask.”

C.C. Hunter
“Wow,” Kylie muttered, and grinned.
“Yeah, wow.” Della leaned in closer. “I think Perry just grew a pair.”
Kylie bit down on her lip to keep from laughing. “If this was a movie,
there would be some music playing in the background.”
“I could sing,” Della chuckled.
“And ruin it,” Kylie teased back. “I’ve heard you singing in the
shower.” Both grinning, they looked back at the kissing couple.”

C.C. Hunter
“A verbal ménage à trois,” Della said.
“Gross,” Miranda said.
“You wanna hear gross?” Della asked. “I just peed on my hand trying
to piss on this damned drug stick while talking on the phone to you.”
Kylie laughed. “I miss you guys.” The sound of a toilet flushing filled
the line.
“Oh, double gross,” Miranda snapped. “I told you not to flush while I
was on the phone.”

11/29/2011 page 101
25.0% "This book keeps getting better and better!! What a fantastic sequel!!!"
12/01/2011 page 225
56.0% "Dann, can we say AMAZING!!! Oh Lucas....you can certainly enter my dreams anytime!!!! God I love this series!!!!!!"
show 1 hidden update…