Faith-Anne's Reviews > The Library at Night

The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Library at Night.

Quotes Faith-Anne Liked

Alberto Manguel
“The starting point is a question.”

Alberto Manguel
“Libraries, whether my own or shared with a greater reading public, have always seemed to me pleasantly mad places, and for as long as I can remember I've been seduced by their labyrinthine logic, which suggests that reason (if not art) rules over a cacophonous arrangement of books.”

Alberto Manguel
“Books have long been instruments of the divinatory arts. ”

Alberto Manguel
“The love of libraries, like most loves, must be learned. ”

Alberto Manguel
“No one stepping for the first time into a room made of books can know instinctively how to behave, what is expected, what is promised, what is allowed. One may be overcome by horror--at the cluster or the vastness, the stillness, the mocking reminder of everything one doesn't know, the surveillance--and some of that overwhelming feeling may cling on, even after the rituals and conventions are learned, the geography mapped, and the natives found friendly.”

Alberto Manguel
“In my fool hardy youth, when my friends were dreaming of heroic deeds in the realms of engineering and law, finance and national politics, I dreamt of becoming a librarian. ”

Alberto Manguel
“But at night, when the library lamps are lit, the outside world disappears and nothing but the space of books remains in existence. ”

Alberto Manguel
“In the dark, with the windows lit and the rows of books glittering, the library is a closed space, a universe of self-serving rules that pretend to replace or translate those of the shapeless universe beyond. ”

Alberto Manguel
“During the day, the library is a realm of order.”

Alberto Manguel
“One book calls to another unexpectedly, creating alliances across different cultures and centuries. ”

Alberto Manguel
“If the library in the morning suggests an echo of the severe and reasonable wishful order of the world, the library at night seems to rejoice in the world's essential, joyful muddle. ”

Alberto Manguel
“My books hold between their covers every story I've ever known and still remember, or have now forgotten, or may one day read; they fill the space around me with ancient and new voices. ”

Alberto Manguel
“At night, here in the library, the ghosts have voices.”

Alberto Manguel
“Immaterial as water, too vast for any mortal apprehension, the Web's outstanding qualities allow us to confuse the ungraspable with the eternal.”

Alberto Manguel
“Every reader exists to ensure for a certain book a modest immortality. Reading is, in this sense, a ritual of rebirth.”

Alberto Manguel
“In any of my pages in any of my books may life a perfect account of my secret experience of the world. ”

Alberto Manguel
“I like to imagine that, on the day after my last, my library and I will crumble together, so that even when I am no more I'll still be with my books.”

Alberto Manguel
“Unpacking books is a revelatory activity. ”

Alberto Manguel
“Entering a library, I am always stuck by the way in which a certain vision of the world is imposed upon the reader through its categories and its order.”

Alberto Manguel
“But a reader's ambition knows no bounds.”

Alberto Manguel
“A library is an ever-growing entity; it multiples seemingly unaided, it reproduces itself by purchase, theft, borrowings, gifts, by suggesting gaps through association, by demanding completion of sorts.”

Alberto Manguel
“In a library, no empty shelf remains empty for long.”

Alberto Manguel
“Old books that we have known but not possessed cross our path and invite themselves over. New books try to seduce us daily with tempting titles and tantalizing covers. ”

Alberto Manguel
“Ultimately, the number of books always exceeds the space they are granted. ”

Alberto Manguel
“The world encyclopedia, the universal library, exists, and it is the world itself.”

Alberto Manguel
“If every library is in some sense a reflection of its readers, it is also an image of that which we are not, and cannot be.”

Alberto Manguel
“The weight of absence is as much a feature of any library as the constriction of order and space.”

Alberto Manguel
“It hardly matters why a library is destroyed: every banning, curtailment, shredding, plunder or loot gives rise (at least as a ghostly presence) to a louder, clearer, more durable library of the banned, looted, plundered, shredded or curtailed.”

Alberto Manguel
“Readers, censors know, are defined by the books they read.”

Alberto Manguel
“Digestion of words as well; I often read aloud to myself in my writing corner in the library, where no one can hear me, for the sake of better savouring the text, so as to make it all the more mine.”

Alberto Manguel
“Deserted libraries hold the shades of writers who worked within, and are haunted by their absence. ”

Alberto Manguel
“The stories that unfold in the space of a writer's study, the objects chosen to watch over a desk, the books selected to sit on the shelves, all weave a web of echoes and reflections of meanings and affections, that lend a visitor the illusion that something of the owner of this space lives on between these walls, even if the owner is no more.”

Alberto Manguel
“Every reader has found charms by which to secure possession of a page that, by magic, becomes as if never read before, fresh and immaculate.”

Alberto Manguel
“Our society accepts the book as a given, but the act of reading -- once considered useful and important, as well as potentially dangerous and subversive -- is now condescendingly accepted as a pastime, a slow pastime that lacks efficiency and does not contribute to the common good.”

Alberto Manguel
“We are losing our common vocabulary, built over thousands of years to help and delight and instruct us, for the sake of what we take to be the new technology's virtues. ”

Alberto Manguel
“Histories, chronologies and almanacs offer us the illusion of progress, even though, over and over again, we are given proof that there is no such thing.”

Alberto Manguel
“As readers, we have gone from learning a precious craft whose secret was held by a jealous few, to taking for granted a skin that has become subordinate to principles of mindless financial profit or mechanical efficiency, a skill for which governments care almost nothing.”

Alberto Manguel
“If justice takes place, there may be hope, even in the face of a seemingly capricious divinity. ”

Alberto Manguel
“Evil requires no reason.”
tags: evil

“Darkness promotes speech.”

Alberto Manguel
“In the light, we read the inventions of others; in the darkness we invent our own stories. ”