Leah's Reviews > Swallowing Darkness

Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton

Nov 22, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, r-2008, series

As previously contracted, this would've been the last book in the Meredith Gentry series but LKH has stated on her blog that there will be more. This latest effort was better than the middle books because with only two short sex scenes, she devotes more to the plot. The world and the characters are more engaging and I am glad to see that she is moving beyond the sexual mire of the previous books. It's obvious from the way this one ended that she had to change or rather delay the direction the plot was headed. Not necessarily a bad thing, as I think that will allow some of the interesting secondary characters to assume more prominent roles.[return][return]I should confess that I have a sort of love-hate relationship with LKH. I loved the first book in this series, as well as several of the early Anita Blake novels. I am one of the many that felt she lost her way (whether due to a fixation or pure stubbornness, I don't know) by putting so much sex (which hit a plateau very early on then was just annoyingly bad thereafter) and completely disregarding the plot. I also should point out that while she has a wonderful imagination and good character development, her writing has never been particularly good. She talks about the never ending quest to find the right words but ends up using the same ones over and over again. Nonetheless, I plan to read the next book to see where she takes the world of the Sidhe, but I can't promise beyond that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swallowing Darkness.