Leah's Reviews > Playing Dead

Playing Dead by Allison Brennan

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: fiction, r-2008, series, suspense-thriller, arc

This is the first novel by Allison Brennan that I have read. And while it is not typically the genre I choose to read these days, romance and suspense are two elements I still enjoy in other genres.

Unfortunately, the romance wasn’t terribly interesting. A man undercover lies to a woman for the sake of his job but then falls in love with her. They have already met and had an ongoing relationship when the story begins. The big obstacle to their relationship comes when she finds out he has been lying to her – standard romance fare.

I like complicated plots, but I thought the numerous “bad guys” and the several subplots weren’t all that compelling. Innocent man goes to jail, dirty politicians committing murder to further their careers, a snitch that just happens to witness said politicians committing murder, law student who figures it out, assassin nut job who is blackmailed by politicians and has been obsessed with protagonist for 15 years, etc. It just never really felt edge of your seat suspenseful.

Despite the fact that the plot didn’t really grab me, the story was put together reasonably well and the character’s backgrounds were well explained. This was a solid novel for the genre but not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing Dead.