Rachel's Reviews > The Hiding Place

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

Mar 03, 09

bookshelves: again-and-again, like-enough-to-own
Read in March, 2009

What a fabulous book! This is the kind of book that changes the way that you see the world. It's given me so many things to think about.

Corrie and several members of her family are imprisoned in several different Nazi camps throughout the end of WWII for helping run the "underground" operation in Holland. The perspective that is offered throughout this book is absolutely incredible. I'll share with you just a couple of the things that stood out to me.

As a young woman, Corrie is totally and completely in love with a friend of her brother, Karel. After finding out that Karel is engaged to another young lady (for financial reasons) Corrie is, of course, devastated. She hides herself in her bedroom, crying and crying. Her father climbs the stairs to offer a few words of wisdom. He explains that "love is the strongest force in all the world, and when it is blocked that means pain. There are two things we can do when this happens. We can kill the love so that is stops hurting. But then of course part of us dies, too. Or, Corrie, we can ask God to open up another route for that love to travel. . . . Whenever we cannot love in the old, human way, Corrie, God can give us the perfect way."

Another time, once Holland had been invaded, Corrie lay awake in bed, listening to dogfights going on over head. When she finally heard her sister, Betsie, downstairs in the kitchen and ran down to join her. They sat at the table, talking until the fighting was over and they could return to sleep. As Corrie felt her way to her bed, running her hand across her pillow, she felt a hard, sharp piece of shrapnel, embedded directly in the middle of her pillow. She ran back down the stair, in horror, to show her Betsie. "'Betsie, if I hadn't heard you in the kitchen-----' But Betsie put a finger on my mouth. 'Don't say it, Corrie! There are no 'if's' in God's world. And no places that are safer than other places. The center of His will is our only safety --- O Corrie, let us pray that we may always know it!'"

This book is filled with forgiveness and joy, even in the most difficult of circumstances. Praying for forgiveness for the Nazis and thanking God for even the fleas! :) A sweet testimony from a remarkable woman!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hiding Place.